Support on o2c files (Objects 2 See) and o2c Interactive!
#62521 by Robert Scott
Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:47 pm
I often have a call for and find the best use of communicating to my clients is with an O2C model.
I model most of my work in Sketchup V8 and then transfer back into DataCAD to create an O2C model.

Using DC16 I've found the most consistent and "cleanest" models are achieved using "Insert 3DS".
Here's my issue: The textures are transferring but not showing up on the O2C model. I can activate (for use of a better word) by going in and individually loading each texture using Edit Materials as shown.

Am I missing some obvious setting?

Robert
Attachments
SU to O2C.JPG
SU to O2C.JPG (80.37 KiB) Viewed 30968 times
#62522 by MtnArch
Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:43 pm
It seems like Mark M. had posted something similar to this - I don't remember who asked or about what program, but I think it was sometime in the last 6 months. Hopefully you can find it by searching or it will jog someone's grey matter, or maybe Mark will chime in on it.
#62539 by jimgoodman
Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:09 pm
Robert:

I can't speak for Bueller but....

Our process involves developing all models, including all colors and materials, in DataCAD. I optimize everything for viewing in O2C and the new Sun Shader because of the seamless integration and feedback as the model is developed.

For the projects that we need a bit more control over views, lighting, etc., we export to Sketchup using the DataCAD translator. For the most part, all the materials and colors come in to Sketchup and look exactly the same as they do in DataCAD/O2C. There are a few anomalies that require correction in Sketchup, which I have reported in other areas of the forum, but they are fairly minor and manageable once you figure out what's going on.

I have not tried this, but insert your Sketchup model in DataCAD using either Sketchup or Sketchup XRef. I suspect that all the materials, etc. will survive the process.
#62540 by Robert Scott
Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:52 pm
Thanks James,

Placing the SU model direct does solve the issue with most of the materials and textures showing up...using SU V8. I'm getting some texture scaling anomalies and some colors not traveling that make no sense. Nothing I can't live with. I just tested it with the latest version of SU and that is not supported. This is one of the reasons I've never really fallen in love with transferring files DC to SKP or SKP to DC and have taken to DWG/DXF and 3DS transfers.

Might have to dust of O2C Interactive and see if how that works.

Robert
#62608 by sledge
Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:58 am
Robert
I just skimmed over your note Robert so I hope Im not stating the bleeding obvious.
I noticed that the model showed on one side but not the other.
I found ticking the "render both sides" box overcame the invisibility thing.

Best Regards
Steve
#62617 by Robert Scott
Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:55 am
Thanks Steve for your response,

When using the Insert 3DS checking the render both sides doesn't appear to be a solution. I've accepted, that for my use and workflow, the model without texture is a "feature" and I can live with it in most situations.

Not trying to sound negative here...I think for a viewer that really hasn't been improved on in ten years is a pretty powerful tool and has its uses. Expecting it to do or act like my full blown rendering gear does is an operator error on my part.

Robert
#62657 by Mark F. Madura
Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:10 pm
ImportSKPMaterialExtract.jpg
Insert SketchUp Extract Materials
ImportSKPMaterialExtract.jpg (63.58 KiB) Viewed 30819 times
When you insert SketchUp files directly, you have the option to extract textures. You should see the materials in the Object Preview before inserting the file.
#62658 by Mark F. Madura
Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:23 pm
Insert3DS.jpg
Insert3DS.jpg (91.28 KiB) Viewed 30817 times
Insert 3DS provides similar extract texture options as o2c without the Object Preview option.
Insert3DSNoTexture.jpg
Insert3DSNoTexture.jpg (100.78 KiB) Viewed 30817 times
The textures don't show up because they are defined as BMP in the 3DS file but they are extracted as JPG. It might be a bug we can fix but I'm not sure.
#62659 by Robert Scott
Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:32 pm
Thanks for your response Mark.
Yes, I had the appropriate boxes check in both SDS and SKP import. Your last post described the issue I'm having and it does appear to be a bmp/jpg issue.
I'll use it a as a feature...often NOT having textures shown is a desirable...keeps the mental clutter down for my clients.

FWIW, I'm finder a higher quality of import/export with 3DS...

Robert
#62660 by Robert Scott
Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:42 pm
Quick work around was to simply renamed the bmp to jpg.
I can live with this for my purposes.

Thanks,

Robert
#65452 by Robert Scott
Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:05 pm
Old thread with a new comment:

With DC v17 I'm now getting very clean inserts of SU V8 models which I can turn into an O2C object. Some of the nagging issues of the past appear to be resolved. Looking forward to being able to use SU 2015 files with DataCAD.

Robert