Support on o2c files (Objects 2 See) and o2c Interactive!
#9357 by Neil Blanchard
Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:29 pm
Greetings Amy,

You can render an elevation, but you don't need o2c; since o2c only works on 3D. Just use solid fills, and/or bitmap fills. A background bitmap would also be relatively easy to do.

[shameless plug] I have an RGB file, available from Cheap Tricks, that is the Benjamin Moore Historical Colors palette, that is good for this. [/shameless plug]
#9959 by Giuseppe Barberio
Sun Feb 19, 2006 4:02 pm
I am also very interested in rendering 2D elevations & plans within Datacad. It would be great if O2c could be used to render 2D images because of the tools that it has ie. the ability to create translucent or glass like properties, applying color to bitmap images of materials, creating reflective surface qualities etc...

Can anyone e-mail me a sample DataCad file & PDF image of a 2D elevation that was rendered within Datacad using only 2D methods. I would greatly appreciate any samples that I can learn from.

Thank you,

Giuseppe Barberio
#9972 by Arthur Emmanuel
Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:00 am
2D render of the DataCAD would be interesting if it made possible to create rays of light in the texture, control of transparency and dynamic edition of the dimensions of the image of the texture. And still adds to this list the gradation of values of tones.

At the moment that this is not possible, it has powerful edition programs that can complement the work of design of the DataCAD for 2D render.
#10001 by Emc Downunder
Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:08 pm
I have used o2c to create colour elevations, which were just for presentation and it had no notation, if you generate a colour elevation, with shadows, you may be able to save that image and import that into datacad set it in behind your drawn elevation.. just a thought.. might have to try it out to see if it would work.. :?
#10824 by ROBERT PENN
Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:18 am
Emc Downunder wrote:I have used o2c to create colour elevations, which were just for presentation and it had no notation, if you generate a colour elevation, with shadows, you may be able to save that image and import that into datacad set it in behind your drawn elevation.. just a thought.. might have to try it out to see if it would work.. :?

This sure does work. I've been doing this for a couple of years - (since the ability to import bmp's) You just need to "enlarge" the bmp or jpeg using the CalDist enlarge command to get the bmp to match the elevation scale.

This is made much simply if you create your elevational hides from the model as well as the bmp. Great for presentations.

Make sure the jpeg image is on a layer before the elevation layer in your layer list so that the linework is "drawn" over the jpeg when you refresh your screen. (Assuming your Display/Layer Order is set to "first")
#10827 by Heinrich
Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:32 am
Giuseppe Barberio wrote:Can anyone POST a sample DataCad file or PDF image of a 2D elevation that was rendered within Datacad using only 2D methods?

-Redd
#12146 by Neil Blanchard
Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:06 pm
Hello,

Here is a very simple, colored elevation that I did in DataCAD:

[Click on image to see larger version. These are both from the Signature Architects, Inc. project page.]

On an earlier version, I had used a bitmap of blue sky and fluffy white clouds "across" all the windows, which I liked better, but we decided to keep it simpler, since this is a very early conceptual drawing.
Last edited by Neil Blanchard on Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#12153 by Giuseppe Barberio
Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:16 pm
Neil,

Thanks for the example. Looks like you used solid fill hatch. Looks really good. Would love to see more examples with BMP textures as wall surfaces i.e. Brick, Glass, Wood, etc.

Thanks again for the sample project Neil.

Giuseppe
#12162 by Neil Blanchard
Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:27 pm
Hello Giuseppe,

Yes, I used both solid fills and hatches to make this. The challenges with textures are getting the scale right, and tiling -- both are rather tricky! I worked completely within DataCAD 11, and I did not even have to use o2c.

Here's the same elevation with the sky bitmap in the windows:

The way I did this is to make one pane a Master, and all the rest of them are "Voids" (in the polyline menu). Then when using the bitmap fill, you can use Entity, and the bitmap is "spread" out over the whole group -- you can try it with a fixed aspect ratio, or with it stretched to the extents of the group. I used the fixed aspect ratio on this elevation.

Also, the repeated portions of this elevation are XRef's, and so you can maybe pick out the extents of these, by where the bitmap "repeats". I also kinda' like how the trees are "transparent" -- this would be less obvious if we had used a bitmap of a tree, instead.
#12292 by Miguel Palaoro
Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:06 pm
Hello Guys (& Girls),

Sorry for the image size, but I guess it worths.

Here is an image by the office of Franklin Moreira Architects, from Porto Alegre, Brazil, who uses DataCAD since the early 90's.

Symbols were remade with alternate settings, using several curved polylines, filled by colored solid fills, in varied shades, pretending to be gradient.

The use of symbols with bitmaps is a bit less handy because it requires that the source bitmap to be at a unique reference address.
If you transfer the drawing to another machine you should take care of this.

The ground surface is filled by inserted bitmaps handled by Move/Down/Up.

The .PDF ready sheet is really great, because it takes all the adjusted appearance from your original workstation, and the customer loves it.

Thanks,
Miguel
#12298 by joshhuggins
Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:49 pm
Very nice! It would be really nice once parametrics come, to be able to toggle between say a line work view (standard cad) and a textured version using the same symbols, by just toggleing a view setting. Or maybe we could do it via layers once a symbol is inserted and the fills could live on specific layers. Hmmm, got some good ideas going... I need something to play with! Hint! Hint!