Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#79862 by jenn0123
Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:36 pm
This may be a long shot but I'm looking to see if anyone has a spare USB Hardlock Key for Datacad 9. Even though we've purchased newer versions, my mom still prefers Datacad 9 and the printer port Hardlock it came with is becoming an issue :). I know for a while Datacad was replacing the printer port Hardlock with the USB key but we missed the window and they don't have any left.

If anyone knows any other workarounds I'd be open to that too!
#79864 by joshhuggins
Tue Jul 06, 2021 6:00 pm
If it doesn't work out finding a Hardlock key, those newer versions you have, including even up the the latest version 22 can be setup to almost be identical to older versions like v9. If you need help getting a newer version setup to mimic v9, let us know here on the forum, we should be able to get you there.
#79872 by melina
Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:44 pm
I have one and you are welcome to it. Contact me directly and we'll see what we can do to get it to you!
Attachments
20210708_133612-2.jpg
20210708_133612-2.jpg (37.05 KiB) Viewed 13496 times
#79873 by dhs
Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:33 pm
I think jenn0123 was looking for a USB version of the hardlock due to the lack of suitable ports for the old dongle on most recent computers.
There are USB to Serial conversion devices on the market, but I would not guarantee that they would work with the old dongle (they may, but I have my doubts).

Even if you find a USB dongle, you may find that the drivers provided by DataCAD have issues with Windows 10 on your new computer: The information on DataCAD's Hardware Key Driver Update page says that the updated drivers support Windows 2000, XP, Visa and 7 (and there has not been any update since then).

In a google groups discussion from a few years ago Carl Steidel noted that the driver worked on his desktop running Windows 10 but not on his laptop. My own experience is that the DataCAD drivers do not work on Windows 10. In the above group thread there was discussion of alternative drivers that some found to work and may be worth investigating.

I hope you find a USB hardlock, but just be aware that you may need to also source alternate drivers or install Windows 7 on your new computer to be able to use it.

Regards,
David H.
#79874 by melina
Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:43 pm
My mistake, I misread. I was thinking that the existing parallel port hardlock itself was acting up and another working one was a viable option.
#79876 by dhs
Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:05 pm
... and I've just assumed that the reason the old hardlock is becoming an issue is due to a new computer without serial ports. If the issue is that the hardlock itself is failing then she may appreciate your offer.
The main aim of my post was to warn that a USB dongle may not alone be enough to solve the issues under Windows 10. ... Josh's suggestion of configuring a later version is likely the easiest solution.
#79877 by jenn0123
Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:16 pm
Thanks so much for your responses. Yes, our parallel port hard lock still works (for now) but as you said, we have struggled with the parallel port to USB converters, although have been able to get it to work with Windows 10 through various herculean efforts :).

The reconfiguring a new version to look old is an intriguing one so if we can't scrounge up the USB Hardlock we may try that (and I may be back for more advice :)).

Thank you!
#79938 by jenn0123
Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:37 am
I think we are going to give it a try to set up a newer version to operate like v9.

@joshhuggins are there any instructions you (or anyone else) has seen on how to do that? We have v12 already so were going to try that first before investing in v22 but would be open to trying v22 if we can get it to work on v12.

Thanks!
#79939 by joshhuggins
Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:50 am
jenn0123 wrote:I think we are going to give it a try to set up a newer version to operate like v9. @joshhuggins are there any instructions you (or anyone else) has seen on how to do that? We have v12 already so were going to try that first before investing in v22 but would be open to trying v22 if we can get it to work on v12.
Are you able to get a screenshot of the setup on v9? That would give me a good place to start on what need to be done.
#80083 by dhs
Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:59 pm
I notice that nobody has replied to this lately. Not sure if somebody is helping you off-forum, but if nobody more qualified is helpint then I'll help if I can!

I used Dcad from v5 thru 11, and then after not using it at all for several years I came back to v19.
I'm trying to remember the differences that I noticed when I came back to 19. I think the main differences in the interface was the number of icon toolbars that appeared in the later versions. The other difference I think is that v19 defaulted to Smart Walls in the Architect menu. My memory is far from perfect, but I think most of the other base functionality was the same (with some extra functions, but most of the basics remaining the same positions on the menus etc).

The screen shots of your Interface Settings is quite different to what I see in v19 (which is the earliest version I have installed). That may be why others have not replied (because we only have the latest versions ourselves and the interface tab we see is quite different to the screen shot you provided). It may be worth your while to download a demo of the latest version as I (and others on this forum) would be better able to help you change the configuration settings. To refresh my memory of the older versions it might also be worthwhile for you to supply a screen shot of the v9 interface that you want to make the new version resemble.

Regards,
David
#80084 by joshhuggins
Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:09 pm
Hi jenn0123,

Sorry for the delay in reply, have a lot of stuff on my personal plate these days. ;) I did get your screenshots but it was not quite what I was looking for. I think the best bet to get this worked out best would be to have you zip your whole Datacad folder and uploaded it to me. That way I can go thru your settings files and build it from scratch. I've been doing some retro PC stuff on Windows 95 lately and this would be a fun project. I might document the process as well just for chuckles. :lol: If your drawings are located in your main Datacad folder, feel free to leave that out of the zip to save time/space. I'll send you a private message with the OneDrive link where you can upload the zip file to.