Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#81638 by keithver
Mon Oct 17, 2022 10:41 am
I have been using DC14 happily since it came out on my old PC with windows 7. I have just got a new PC with windows 10. I am retired so don't need to keep up to date on the versions anymore. I have loaded DC14.
Using Layers (F3) and On/Off (F1) on the menu closes the active drawing. The same happens when I use Move (F1) to layer (F4) on the menu
I then installed the latest update - That didn't resolve it
I have tried opening a new drawing and copying the entities to the new drawing.
I have restarted the PC
I still sit with the same problem
Any suggestions would be gratefully received
Thanks in advance
#81640 by MtnArch
Mon Oct 17, 2022 12:21 pm
Just shooting in the dark, but have you tried setting the properties for the desktop icon to "Run in Compatibility Mode" and selecting the version of Windoze your old box was using? Also setting it to "Run as Administrator"?

I seem to recall that at some point one of the Windoze updates created issues with older versions of DCad, but I don't remember if it was terminal or simply a matter of changing a setting in Windoze somewhere.

Good luck!
#81643 by Mark F. Madura
Mon Oct 17, 2022 12:55 pm
Unfortunately, this is an error that began to occur coincident with a major Windows update (8, 8.1, or 10 I don't remember which). I recall a work-around is to use the mouse instead of the function keys but I'm not positive.
#81648 by keithver
Tue Oct 18, 2022 11:38 am
Thanks for the suggestions guys, but they haven't changed anything. the problem persists
Alan - I tried Run as Admin and Compatibility mode separately and together - no luck though
Mark - it makes no difference if I use the function keys or the mouse - same result

Is there a next step please
#81651 by dhs
Tue Oct 18, 2022 12:51 pm
Hi Keith,

Other options you could try would be to install a Windows 7 Virtual Machine on your new computer, or to set the machine up to dual boot. There would be effort involved in doing this and I don't know for sure what would work, or what other issues you may encounter. You would need to still have the copy of Win7 from your old PC (or at least the serial num in order to download and use an image legally).

Although I have used VMs in the past they were always installed by somebody else, so I can't offer heaps of advice on the installation but there appears to be a reasonable explanation of it at https://www.partitionwizard.com/resizepartition/win7-virtual-machine.html. It appears Microsoft no longer offers an ISO file download for Win7, but it looks like there are still copies available if you search around a bit (e.g. I found https://techpp.com/2018/04/16/windows-7-iso-official-direct-download-links/).

Rgds,
David H
#81672 by keithver
Fri Oct 21, 2022 1:17 am
thanks guys. I will try the virtual machine and let you know