Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#82851 by yokman
Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:57 pm
Hi,
Im using Datacad 19 and it has suddenly developed a problem.
Whenever i go into the text menu and click on "font" the program freezes and i need to reboot the program to restart.
Has anyone encountered this problem or any solution to fix it would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
#82852 by DBrennfoerder
Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:05 pm
Not to be rude at all, but why not just get the latest version? Mark and crew have worked hard for years to provide a great program. When you update your software, you help the company exist to reach more customers.
#82858 by yokman
Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:50 pm
i think you are being rude, and not that i should provide you with a explanation. I am currently recovering from a stroke and open-heart surgery, i have been in hospital for an extended amount of time, thus i have been out of work with limited income. If i had more money coming in i would update, hopefully in time i will get back on my feet. If anyone could offer a useful solution to my problem, it would be much appreciated. Thank you
#82859 by MtnArch
Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:29 pm
I don't think it was Dwight's intent to put you on the spot. I think his response was more frustration from when others who HAVE the ability to upgrade but don't, and then complain that something is wrong and should be fixed in a past version.

I (hope) I speak for everyone on the forum that we wish you a safe and speedy recovery from your stroke and surgery! You are very much appreciated for your choice of the best Architectural CAD program ever!

You've probably already looked at this, but just for grins-n-giggles .. have you checked your paths (in DCad's preferences) to make sure they don't have a corruption in them? You might also check to see if for some reason the font folders were changed to 'Read-Only' or something else that could be an issue? Do you see anything on the fonts menu before it blows up? Are both SHX and TTF checked? Have you tried copying everything into a new file (to purge as much out as possible .. maybe the corruption as well)?

Could you share (via PM or email) one of your files that you're having issues with for some of us to take a peek at? I'd have to re-load my V19 to replicate what you're seeing, but maybe it will show up in V22 or V23 (what I have currently loaded).

Just slinging spaghetti at the wall right now ...
#82860 by yokman
Sat Mar 23, 2024 3:57 pm
Thank you for your kind words and suggestions. I will take your advice and look into it later today.
I know I'm using old technology I've have had to fall back onto it due to my situation. It meant getting my old laptop out of storage and attempting to do work upon it.
Appreciated and thank you.
#82861 by DBrennfoerder
Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:04 am
Yokeman, I have an extra v22 Thai I no longer need. I’ll check with Mark and Clay
On Monday to see what the procedure is, but I believe that I can transfer that
Serial number to you and make a way to get the install file to you. No charge. I’ll be
80 in a couple of months and am shutting down the office.

If Mark and Clay say it’s ok to do this, you can get an upgrade to v22 at no expense.
#82862 by ORWoody
Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:07 pm
Dwight:
I've always appreciated your comments, even when they were not for me or directly involved some problem that I'd encountered.
This last comment and your response to Yokeman's difficulty and situation puts you into my "wish that I knew you better" category. You are a true gentleman and a kind-hearted soul.
My thanks to you for your magnanimity.
Best wishes to Yokeman for a quick and complete recovery.
Woody
#82867 by DBrennfoerder
Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:55 pm
Yokman,

I requested DataCAD's permission to tranfer my extra v22 to you, but they declined. They said that you need to reach out to them with your problem (help@datacad.com) or call 860-217-0567 (dunno how you do that from Australia), and explain the issue They said that just having my newer software might not fix the problem that you're having. I've written them before and Clay Rogers is very adapt at finding what the issue is for me in the past.

I'm sorry I couldn't help. I tried. Hope your recovery is good and quick.
#82868 by yokman
Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:35 pm
Thank you, for your help and I really appreciate your offer for the cad transfer, and I understand the reason behind the refusal. I'm hoping to persevere and get a small job out and then i can upgrade. Thank you.
#82869 by DBrennfoerder
Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:11 pm
Thanks, Yokman, appreciate it, but really, contact the guys at DataCAD, I’m sure they can fix your software problem, so you can get back to work.
#82870 by Clay Rogers
Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:32 pm
Are you running DataCAD 19 on a laptop? If so, do you ever run DataCAD with a secondary monitor connected to the laptop? Is the external monitor currently connected to the laptop?

If you attempt to access the font dialog box and DataCAD seems to "freeze", then try pressing the [Esc] key on your keyboard. Do you get control back?

It could be that your font dialog box is being displayed off the screen, where you can't see it. That's why DataCAD seems to lock up when you access the dialog box.

yokman wrote:Hi,
Im using Datacad 19 and it has suddenly developed a problem.
Whenever i go into the text menu and click on "font" the program freezes and i need to reboot the program to restart.
Has anyone encountered this problem or any solution to fix it would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
#82871 by DBrennfoerder
Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:23 pm
Yokman,

Also, consider that it is your file that may have a corrupt entity and causing the freeze. If so, different software would not solve the problem. In the past, I've had an issue with elements miles away from the origin, like if I'd tried to intersect to lines that were almost parallel and the intersection is literally 52 miles away. DataCAD freezes up trying to do the math. Workaround: load the file (if you can), do an area erase above your work using "crossing", erase areas left, right and below the work in the same manner. You might grab and delete some erroneous line.

Or, send the file to DataCAD. Those guys really are miracle workers.
#82872 by yokman
Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:22 am
Hi Clay,
Yes, I am running another secondary monitor connected to my laptop and yes when i click on esc i regain control. Is there a way to find the font dialog box, i have disconnected the secondary monitor and running DataCad on my laptop only and still having the problem.
Any help much appreciated.
Thank you
Regards
Yokman
#82873 by joshhuggins
Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:48 am
Right after you click the Font button and it freezes, without moving your mouse, on your keyboard type ALT, SPACEBAR,M, then tap any arrow key once. Then move your mouse cursor without clicking the mouse and the Font dialog should show back up attached to your mouse. Left click your mouse to reposition it back on your main screen. It should remember it's new location going forward.
#82877 by yokman
Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:47 pm
HI Josh,
Thank you for your help, i followed your instructions and it worked.
Problem all solved. Thank you to everyone , and all their help.
Appreciate it.