Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#22037 by peter korzaan
Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:04 am
Computer has to go see doctor, and I can't find my list of what are the essential files to back up, I know some of the oblivious, but want to verify.
thanks p.
#22040 by Miguel Palaoro
Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:05 am
Hi Peter,

If you use any customized toolbar, save it, with the icons as well.
All your drawing files should be also saved separately.

And if you use any custom "Default" file, save it also.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Miguel
#22043 by joshhuggins
Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:24 am
I'd backup my whole Datacad folder, and hopefully you keep all your important files saved in your My Documents folder or on a networked location. if they are in your My Docs, I'd burn that and your Datacad folder to a CD.
#22049 by peter korzaan
Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:51 am
burn the whole folder, hmmm... a bit overkill, but then again, you got it.. ALL. No list, no mess, no wonder, no thought.... I like it ;-)
thanks
#22051 by Dick Eades
Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:06 am
I'd go even further than that. Cut an image of the entire drive and store it on a backup drive.
#22053 by artmanvt2000
Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:08 am
I would also suggest saving your favorites and e-mail file (Outlook.pst if your using Outlook, not Outlook express).
#22063 by joshhuggins
Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:24 pm
artmanvt2000 wrote:I would also suggest saving your favorites and e-mail file (Outlook.pst if your using Outlook, not Outlook express).
Oh reeealy? Hehe. Poor Art has had a rough few weeks :( Just glad you were able to figure it out.
#22075 by peter korzaan
Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:46 pm
Don't have another hard drive, but it gave me a thought about the infamous Norton, and how I remembered it had a Ghost. Loaded it up, and its the first worthwhile thing I think I've gotten from Norton. Of course I haven't tried to put it back on a reformatted drive yet... ;-) But it seems I got a image of the hard drive.
#22441 by peter korzaan
Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:59 am
Well there was a hiccup in the computer being picked up, so the box is coming today, and need to back up again, and have a few more questions.

By saving the whole Dcad file as suggested, can you actual copy that to a reformatted hard drive, and it will work? I seriously doubt that, but who knows? Yet you have all the particular preferences you like in that file. My, how that would be delicious not to have to set DCAD all up again, but have it at your finger tips as if it where, the way you like it. Of course the work around to archive this, would be coping over files, once you have it loaded again with the updates, but which ones?
#22454 by peter korzaan
Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:41 am
Ah.. yes.. but as stated before, I lost my list, just what are the 'custom files' that I would copy? Thanks for the reply to a very basic question. p.
#22455 by Nick Pyner
Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:58 am
peter korzaan wrote:
By saving the whole Dcad file as suggested, can you actual copy that to a reformatted hard drive, and it will work? I seriously doubt that, but who knows?

Yes, you can. DataCad is all in one folder these days, but the thing stopping you is the hardlock driver. There is a hardlock folder on the installation CD and that will enable you to get back into action with your personal CD. With the speed of modern gear, it is clearly the best way to go.
Have your entire DCad, except the drawing files ( which are obviously being regulary backed up by other means) stashed on a CD, securely stored with all your other vital CDs. You can be up and running in a couple of minutes, with no worries about which files are relevant.

Of course the downside to this is that, if you make any changes, your backup CD needs to be updated.
#22458 by peter korzaan
Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:29 pm
ah the plot thickens, but I'm still dense. What your saying is copy the entire Dcad folder, from the BckUp, unto the hard drive, then go to the installation Dcad disk, and only load (install) the hardlock driver?
#22462 by David A. Giesselman
Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:21 pm
Peter:

You will also need to re-install the o2c player from your DataCAD CD. You may do this by running the DataCAD setup program and selecting the o2c Object Player and Browser Plugin from within a Custom setup type.

Additionally, you may wish to backup the following branch of your registry:

Code: Select allHKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\DATACAD LLC

This registry branch tells DataCAD's update installers where DataCAD resides.

Dave
#22463 by peter korzaan
Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:36 pm
This is awesome.

Haven't had to do it very often but the drudgery of loading all those other programs during a reformat session are bad enough, but then having to go through Dcad and reset and make nice all the particulars the way I like them, seems to be the worse and most time consuming. Especially when there is work to be done. ;-) Its gonna be interesting to try this out.

I know this is probably basic again, but having never done this before, how do I copy the registry? How do I get there?

Thanks again for the replies p.