Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#3383 by kapone085
Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:13 am
is there a way to increase the number of characters in a single line of text?
#3398 by kapone085
Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:50 am
neil,

it is at the top of our titleblock.
it's our disclaimer about our drawings.
right now it's borken up into two lines, but on one line
and its overlapping each other.
#3399 by Neil Blanchard
Thu Jun 16, 2005 12:07 pm
Hi Jason:

Aha -- I geddit now! Yes, this can be done by increasing the Aspect of the text from 1.0 up to as high as 1.4 or 1.5. Beyond that, it gets a little too squished. Also, try other fonts -- some have different "kerning" built in, and could be much more compact even with the same "size".
#3415 by Miguel Palaoro
Thu Jun 16, 2005 2:28 pm
Hello Jason,

Could you please elaborate some more about this issue ?

Neil has answered about to put "more" characters in the "same" space, but I understood you could be speaking about a 'break' in the line of text.

I remember of problems like this in the clipboard use to transfer texts among Windows applications: i.e.: from DataCAD to Excel and from Word to DataCAD, etc. [Edit: this happened in DataCAD 10]

I have not hear about and nor searched for this problem recently.
If I am mistaken, please apologize.

Thanks,
Miguel
#3419 by MtnArch
Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:20 pm
I agree with Miguel - I think Jason is referring to a limit on the amount of characters that a single text entity can contain.

I seem to recall at one time that it was 256 TOTAL characters within a single line of text, though I can't confirm that it is true, or if it is still true.
#3425 by Miguel Palaoro
Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:49 pm
Hi Alan,

Indeed the limit is 256 characters in one line, when typed in DataCAD 11. I've checked it right now.

BTW, there are other facts that could help to drive some change if required. I've also tested the exchange of text among DataCAD and MS Word, using Windows clipboard, and the results were pretty interesting:

1) You select the full text-line in DataCAD (256 char) and all these 256 char are pasted into Word. According with the page settings you get it in 4 or 5 lines;

2) If you select a whole paragraph (with 256 char) in Word, you can clipboard and paste it back into DataCAD. It arrives at DataCAD with the same paragraph shape as it was in Word. But, it is fragmented in several parts.

a) the first and the second line integers (63 char each one);
b) the third line starts with a piece (fragment) with 30 characters length
(my guess is that this the whole 'word' that came from DataCAD. Amount= 2 x 63 + 30 = 156 characters);
c) the third line has a second 'fragment' with 33 char;
d) the fourth line is composed by 6 (six) fragments, counting (characters) in the order: 13 + 18 + 13 + 5 + 12 + 2
e) the fifth line has the last 4 characters.

3) I have no clue about what takes to this behavior.

I'd love to hear from the 'bits&bytes' Guys to explain which is the "mechanic" that drives this behavior.

Thanks,
Miguel
#3427 by joshhuggins
Thu Jun 16, 2005 6:55 pm
#3441 by Miguel Palaoro
Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:19 am
Hello,

I should complete my "discovery". Since last night before sleeping I was imaginning: "This fragmentation would happen in other text sizes ?".

I've just tested a very small font size and it 'goes' To Word, and comes back in a line INTEGER, with 256 characters.

So, now it is a matter of size of the text.

I agree with Josh (without his sarcasm). Let's wait for the "Multi Text".

Thanks,
Miguel