Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#49105 by Heinrich
Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:13 pm
First off let me say, big fan of X3. Huge fan. Love it.

I especially love the SU import option, but I've an issue I hope you guys can remedy. Below is a framed wall (using FRAMEIT) that I've imported to SU.

As you can see, the component appears translucent. X-Ray is turned off. You'll also notice that only some of the parts are translucent and that the faces seem to have shading to them. There is no material or color added to these pieces, just the default material. And when I do attach a material, it's no longer translucent, but the surfaces do still have the shading on them even with materials turned off.

Can anyone explain this? Is there a setting(s) that I'm missing when I'm exporting/importing?

Below is an exported CMU_Brick wall:

#49164 by Heinrich
Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:54 am

Bueller?... Bueller?... Bueller?
#49169 by MtnArch
Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:46 am
I haven't a clue. Have you tried posting this on the SketchUcation forum (http://forums.sketchucation.com/)?
#49173 by Paul Nida
Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:50 pm
Have you checked the surfaces in sketchup to see if they have smoothing set to something other than none?
#49175 by Heinrich
Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:58 pm
Paul Nida wrote:Have you checked the surfaces in sketchup to see if they have smoothing set to something other than none?

I've searched for that option and I see none. When I bring it into an existing drawing that is fine, it looks the same.

MtnArch wrote:I haven't a clue. Have you tried posting this on the SketchUcation forum (http://forums.sketchucation.com/)?

That's probably going to be my next course of action.

Thanks guys.
#49180 by Paul Nida
Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:53 pm
I am not an expert on Sketchup but if you are working on a Sketchup export from DCAD it is probably coming in as a component. So you can select all or draw a box around the entire drawing, then explode it, then while it is all still selected go to Window/Soften edges and either unselect the Smooth normals box or set the smoothing to 0. See if that works for you.
#49216 by Heinrich
Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:57 am
Paul Nida wrote:I am not an expert on Sketchup but if you are working on a Sketchup export from DCAD it is probably coming in as a component. So you can select all or draw a box around the entire drawing, then explode it, then while it is all still selected go to Window/Soften edges and either unselect the Smooth normals box or set the smoothing to 0. See if that works for you.

It is coming in as a component, but turning smoothing off or down to 0 has zero affect on it. I'm still waiting for a reply from the SU boards.
#49218 by Paul Nida
Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:03 pm
From my experience the smoothing doesn't seem to affect components. That's why I said explode it first, then change the smoothing.
#49235 by wolverine
Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:09 am
If you export as a dwg and import to SU do you have the same results?
#49236 by Heinrich
Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:21 am
Paul Nida wrote:From my experience the smoothing doesn't seem to affect components. That's why I said explode it first, then change the smoothing.

Sorry, I somehow missed that part. That seemed to help. I actually didn't even have to adjust the settings, just bringing up the window fixed the shading. The faces were still transparent, but when I added a material to them, all was well.

Thanks for the help guys, this is going to save me a boatload of time (and $$) in the future.
#49237 by Heinrich
Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:34 am
wolverine wrote:If you export as a dwg and import to SU do you have the same results?

No, it comes across just fine. The direct export just cuts down an extra step which, for something small like this wall, isn't that big of a deal. But with a full house, could save quite a bit of time.
#49243 by wolverine
Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:23 am
Heinrich wrote:
wolverine wrote:If you export as a dwg and import to SU do you have the same results?

No, it comes across just fine. The direct export just cuts down an extra step which, for something small like this wall, isn't that big of a deal. But with a full house, could save quite a bit of time.

I was wondering if it was specific to X3 export, and if you had tried the results using the dwg export then import dwg from SU. I never used the Frameit but tried today, no transparency but I'm using V11 and SU6.
#49327 by Robert Scott
Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:49 pm
Heinrich:

I just loaded DCX and I duplicating the SU export with the same transparency and materials as you are. Did you get any solutions from the Sketchup board?

Robert
#49374 by Robert Scott
Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:06 pm
Bumping this up...no one besides Heinrich and I are having this issue?
Maybe I should ask is anyone using DCX and SU 7 that is NOT experiencing this issue?

Robert
#49375 by David Porter
Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:51 pm
I found the same transparent problems.