Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#3614 by Thogar
Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:55 am
Ever since we upgraded to Datacad 11, I've been plagued with this error message: "Datacad Internal Stack Overflow! Buffer Empty!". This happens extremely frequently, something like every 5-10 commands issued. When this error message occurs it cancels my chosen command and defaults back to drawing walls.

Needless to say, this has been frustrating...maddening even. I tried searching the forums for a post regarding this particular problem, but the search tool didn't return any results. If I am repeating a post, I sincerely apologize, but I also just as sincerely want to get this issue resolved.

Does anyone have any idea what I can do to try and remedy this problem? I'm using Datacad v11.07.00 and this very same problem has happened on every upgrade since we first installed v11. My PC seems to be the only one of the three running Datacad that has this particular problem, but all 3 machines are running the same hardware, OS (xp pro sp2) and version of DCAD. The only differences are the other 2 machines have slightly faster CPUs in them.
#3616 by joshhuggins
Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:40 pm
It does sound like it could be a hardware issue. First check your version drivers vs. the other two systems for things like your video card, sound card and such. Update yours to the latest drivers from the manufactures websites. If updating your drives doesn't work, I would see if someone with computer hardware knowledge could swap the identical parts from one of the working systems into your system, try running Datacad on both of them and see the the problem moves with the hardware swap. Only swap one piece of hardware at a time. If the problem remains on your system, reinstall the hardware you just swaped back into both computers and then move on to the next set of parts to swap. I would start with the CPU since you said the systems are identical besides the cpu. Then try the memory, video card and on down the PCI peripherals. Hopefully your find it fast.
#3618 by David A. Giesselman
Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:24 pm
This error occurs if you attempt to "stack" too many immediate mode commands. As an example, pressing '/' (WindowIn) repeatedly will cause this error. There is a finite number of stacked commands that DataCAD can remember for tracing back through and when that number is exceeded, the command stack is cleared and you are sent to the Edit menu. No data loss is a result of this action.

Dave
#3619 by Thogar
Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:37 pm
David A. Giesselman wrote:This error occurs if you attempt to "stack" too many immediate mode commands. As an example, pressing '/' (WindowIn) repeatedly will cause this error. There is a finite number of stacked commands that DataCAD can remember for tracing back through and when that number is exceeded, the command stack is cleared and you are sent to the Edit menu. No data loss is a result of this action.

Dave

This sounds like what's probably happening in my case since I don't "back out" of commands, I just use the toolbars and click on the next needed command without worrying about "stacked" commands. I come from an AutoCad background and this type of thing isn't an issue with it, nor is it an issue with any other CAD (or any software program, for that matter) program I've used, although my CAD experience is limited to Datacad, Autocad, Microstation & ICEM-DDN.

Is there any way to turn off the "remembering" of the stacked commands? Better yet, why can't Datacad simply purge out the oldest command, in other words, drop out the one at the bottom of the stack when said stack fills? Also, why does the error come up sometimes after only a few commands and other times after a good many?
#3620 by Neil Blanchard
Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:39 pm
Hello:

My first guess is you have some faulty RAM. There are tests to run for this (called something like X86Mem), and if that is the cause, then you'll have to replace the RAM. It also could be a hard drive problem -- you can run Scan Disk for this, though with XP, you have to do this on a reboot.

The next thing I would check into in the video card and/or it's driver. Another possibility is a messed up Windows Registry, though it seems more likely to be hardware.
#3621 by Daniel Kaczor
Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:46 pm
I use toolbars 90% of the time and never had a problem. All of my toolbars start with a ";" or ":" depending where the sequence starts. Clearing up your problem may be as "simple" :lol: as adding ^; or ^: to each of the toolbar commands.