Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#50363 by joshhuggins
Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:53 pm
I preformed a File import, importing "FileA" into a new base per a email discussion with Mark T. One thing I noticed is that the self xrefs became normal xrefs that referenced the original FILE A's location. When we perform a File Purge the self xrefs keep their self xrefness. So now I have a few questions:

1. What would be the difference between doing a File Purge vs. A File Import into a new base file? When should we do one method vs. the other? Is it just if you can't open the file to preform the purge?

2. Guessing on the response to question one, if there is essentially no difference in the two methods, could we get the File, Import to keep self xrefs intact? In understand that this would probably mean that if the file has not been saved yet that the file would need to be saved before the File Import can be preformed.

3. When I Insert, Self Xref in "File X", the way I think of it is it should always reference the file it is within. On the other hand, I would think that if I use Insert, Xref and picked the same "File X" that I am currently in that it would be a Xref and not a Self Xref so if I did a File, Save As to new "File Y", that the Xref would still point back to "File X". It currently does not do this. If this could be possible I think that would be another handy option on how we could use xrefs. If it is not possible because these types of Xref cannot be supported that's fine, but could we maybe get a notice that the xref will be a self xref just to help educate the users to better understand what is actually happening with their xrefs?