Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#3747 by RAJdesign
Mon Jun 27, 2005 7:56 pm
I just hired a new draftsperson and as soon as he sat down at his work station his first comment was "Who changed the short cut keys"? My last employee at this work station always claimed someone changed the short cut keys, and to my knowledge no one has ever changed anything except the the last guy that just left the firm. My question is as follows: How does one go about resetting the short cut keys to the DATACAD 11 default settings? Thanks for your help!

Cheers,

Rod Jeheber
#3748 by Nick Pyner
Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:22 pm
The shortcut keys are in the DCADWIN.MSG file. If you are asking the question, you can assume this is something that is best left alone. It would be best to replace your file from a master backup.

If you don't have this, it would be simpler, safer and quicker to just reinstall DataCad. The installation process can recognise altered files and not override them. I don't know if this applies to the MSG file but I wouldn't take the risk. You should remove the entire \support files folder to a safe place, reinstall DCad and then return your personal pentables, keyboard macros etc to the new folder. Once you have done that, it is time to copy the entire pristine working DCad to a CD, for future times like this.

You should have two of these CDs, one with the latest version and one with the previous version, just in case......

Having a "safe" folder just to contain all youir personal DCad stuff like the above and your default files, is a good move.
#3751 by RAJdesign
Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:35 pm
Hey Nick, don't you mean the MNU file insrtead of the MSG file?
#3754 by Nick Pyner
Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:53 am
I think not, but either way, the advice remains the same. Don't fiddle, re-install.

I only allude to this in the light of ancient discussion where I believe the message file was altered so that those who still insist on using all caps in text don't have to hit the shift key in order to go m for move.

Nick
#3759 by Neil Blanchard
Tue Jun 28, 2005 4:44 am
Hello Rod:

If you are talking about the Alt- keys, then the file you need to check is the DcadWin.MCR file, that is in the DataCAD/Support Files folder. If you have other machines that work the way that you want them to, you can copy that file from one machine to another.

What macros are not working correctly?
#3764 by artmanvt2000
Tue Jun 28, 2005 6:53 am
If you are talking about the "ALT" short cut keys, something I have notice, after working on Datacad since release 8.5 is that when a new release is issued the shortcut keys are changed. Here in our office I have changed the dcadwin.mcr file to reflect the short cut keys we are used to. If your previous employee had been there for a while he most likely editted the shortcuts to suit what he knew. I hope this was of some help.
#3772 by Miguel Palaoro
Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:34 am
Hello Rod,

I'd suggest you to focus on DCADWIN.MCR file. You can easily examinate its contents and discuss with your colleagues the better configuration.
The edition is simple and can be made with NOTEPAD.

After having reached a common choice, save the file, and save a COPY with a new name, which will not be overwritten by a new update.

At each new update you can compare contents from your standard configuration and edit any changes.

Along with this file you can handle the MNU file which allows to create additional short-cuts to all the menu commands, using 'Shift' and 'Ctrl'.

Hope this helps,
Miguel
#3835 by RAJdesign
Wed Jun 29, 2005 6:21 pm
Thank you to ALL of you! I am going to copy over my file to the other work stations and run with it! Marco's are ALL working fine Neil. I knew my ex draftsperson had changed things.... again, thank you EVERYONE!

Cheers,

Rod :D