Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#51717 by John Rowan
Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:55 am
I carried out a "winter clean" of my PC over the holidays removing old programs I didn't think i needed. So I unistalled DC12 thinking that I had copied all the files I needed over to X3 (X3 having been installed since it was released)

Working on old drawings the only problem I have come across is missing bitmaps that were embedded in symbols. They plot fine and the the custom pen table is there. But I have now found that on new drawings I don't have my custom pen table and custom scales etc. :( I didn't realise that my custom items were still being pulled from the V12 directory and/or that they are embedded in the drawing file.

It's no big deal, I have enough backup files to restore everthing from 12 that I need. I'm just a bit concerned that the installation instructions don't make it 100% clear what will and won't be copied over.

The Manual says " If you are installing DataCAD X3 on a computer with DataCAD 12 or a prior version, you may have existing program preferences and customized support files like hatch patterns and line types. During installation, you can choose to copy some of your settings and files to your DataCAD X3 program folder automatically. You will need to copy other support files manually. Customizable files (such as drawings,
XREF drawings, symbols, and templates) are not automatically copied into your DataCAD X3 program folder during installation. You need to decide which of these files, if any, you will copy into your DataCAD X3 program folder."

I'm sure I'm not the 1st and won't be the last to find this out.

John Rowan