Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#51725 by Neil Blanchard
Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:08 pm
Hi,

Here's something that I was reminded of today (thanks Manny!) that might be handy for you: if you edit your DcadWin.INI file like this in the [General] section:

Automatic Crossing Selection=TRUE
Auto Fence=TRUE

When you are selecting by Entity and you pick far enough away from an entity and drag -- you *automatically* get an Area selection. And you can toggle on Fence if you need it.

So, you just leave the EGAFSM on Entity... and go. And you get the Auto Crossing, too.
#51745 by damian
Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:46 am
Great tip Neil. The interesting thing is that when I move on the left, will automatically activate the 'crossing' and on the right is only 'area'
#51746 by joshhuggins
Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:48 pm
LOL! Love your avatar Damian!
Last edited by joshhuggins on Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#51747 by Mark F. Madura
Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:10 pm
joshhuggins wrote:LOL! Love your avatat Damian!

Nice!
#51753 by damian
Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:55 am
Thanks very kind of you. Thank you that you gave me the opportunity with your suggestions to customize my datacad and improve the use of it
#61416 by Jim Allen
Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:18 pm
It doesn't work for me. I can't get just the auto crossing to work on this computer. I have the Dcadwin.ini edited as you showed. Something about this home computer. I'll try the dragging when I go in to work next week.
#61465 by Jim Allen
Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:47 pm
No, doesn't work for me. When I have Entity selected I can't drag an area. There must be something else that needs to be done.
#61467 by David A. Giesselman
Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:33 pm
Jim:

Within any editing menu (EGAFS) and with Entity selected, left-click (and release) once away from any geometry. Now move the mouse. Do you get an Area selection box?

If not, make certain that you only have the above INI entries occurring only once within the [General] section of the INI file. What is your version number shown in the About dialog of the Help menu?

Dave

PS: Might be time to upgrade eh? ;)
#61468 by Jim Allen
Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:09 pm
Dave,

All I get is "The point entered is too far from an entity." I checked my .ini file and the lines are in the file only once. The "New Crossing Fence=TRUE" line doesn't have anything to do with it does it?

I have DataCAD version 15.03.02.02. (SE) I don't think they get much newer:)

What is EGAFS? Mine goes EGAFM. I'm missing a S. Probably something I messed up years ago.

Jim
#61469 by David A. Giesselman
Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:39 pm
And you have the entry Auto Fence=TRUE in there as well?
#61470 by David A. Giesselman
Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:41 pm
Jim Allen wrote:... I have DataCAD version 15.03.02.02. (SE) I don't think they get much newer:)

Sorry, I was assuming an older version because of the forum this was posted in.

Dave
#61471 by Jim Allen
Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:44 pm
Yes, I have Auto Fence=TRUE also. Dragging and auto selecting works great. But not at all on my home computer. I'm still looking into that. Just tried the dragging in Entity mode on my work computer today. Maybe I need to do a new install when I get a chance, without any of my modifications to the .msg, and .ini files. Maybe something got messed up along the way, over the years. Should there be another button for Selection Sets maybe after Fence, or Mask? Am I missing an S button?

I posted here because I was searching for crossing and ended up here.

Thanks for the help.

Jim
#61480 by Jim Allen
Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:00 am
I solved my problem. There was something in my Dcadwin.mnu file messed up. After replacing my modified file with the original the area crossing works while in Entity mode. I'm glad I found this thread and could fix it. Now I wonder what I had changed in the .mnu file that caused it.

Thanks for the help solving a problem I didn't know I had:)
#61482 by Roger D
Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:08 am
Jim Allen wrote:Now I wonder what I had changed in the .mnu file that caused it.

Should have renamed the file before replacing, then you could have repairs, or techsupport could have reviewed. Maybe a copy is on a backup somewhere.