Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#52573 by Mark Toce
Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:58 am
melina wrote:From the original description:

"If it finds that DataCAD X3 Hardlock is already installed, it simply updates it with the latest fixes and enhancements. The universal installer will not replace the hardlock-protected version of DataCAD X3 with the softlock-protected version."

Is this still an option?

Yes, the DataCAD X3 Universal Installer will install the Demo version if no DataCAD X3 is installed, or the full DataCAD X3, or it will update any previous version of DataCAD X3 to version 13.06.00. If your existing DataCAD X3 installation uses the hardlock, this will update to 13.06.00 with a hardlock.

DataCAD X3 Universal Installer:
http://www.datacad.com/download/datacad/Download_DataCAD_X3.exe
#52574 by Paul Nida
Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:22 pm
I am not at all sure I want the new softlock, so what are the other fixes and enhancements that are included with this update? I haven't seen anything so far showing what is new in this version other than the softlock.
#52575 by Mark Toce
Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:52 pm
Paul Nida wrote:I am not at all sure I want the new softlock, so what are the other fixes and enhancements that are included with this update? I haven't seen anything so far showing what is new in this version other than the softlock.

New Features and Enhancements in DataCAD 13.06.00 (Since DataCAD 13.05.01):

1) DataCAD is now available with a software-based license management option in lieu of the hardware-based USB license key. For more information, please contact Sales and Customer Service at (860) 677-4004 or info@datacad.com.

Fixes in DataCAD 13.06.00 (Since DataCAD 13.05.01):

1) Smart Objects are now shown in the correct location in the Object Viewer when the drawing contains a Clip Cube and the current view projection is Isometric.

2) MText and PText entities inside a symbol no longer disappear when a Clip Cube that encloses them is enabled.

3) Corrected a problem that would cause filled dots on non-associative dimensions to disappear after a screen refresh.

4) Fixed a delay that could occur when turning layers on and off in the Layer Manager.

5) The Text Mask/Font Search option now works on PText entities.

6) Drawing variable-width Smart doors and windows now adheres to the current state of the Orthomode setting, enabling you to use Direction/Distance.
#52576 by Tony Blasio
Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:16 pm
The Check for Update isn't finding the 13.06 update. Will it or is this strictly a manual download update?
#52577 by Mark Toce
Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:18 pm
Tony Blasio wrote:The Check for Update isn't finding the 13.06 update. Will it or is this strictly a manual download update?

Right now, it's just a manual update. We're working as quickly as possible...
#52578 by Tony Blasio
Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:22 pm
I wasn't complaining Mark. Just curious.
#52579 by Mark Toce
Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:58 pm
Tony Blasio wrote:I wasn't complaining Mark. Just curious.

We'll have it up shortly. The updater will know whether you have the hardlock version or the softlock version installed, and will update to the appropriate version of 13.06.00. How's that for a smart updater :D
#52588 by Okcsailing
Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:22 pm
Ok everyone take deep breath!

For my one man office that has supported Datacad,LLC by having three X3 hardware locks. Yes I can only use one at a time as I am it!!!!! I see where the softlock would be great for the notebook.

Mark's remote access to deactivate sounds functionial how ever, Back to one man office that turns comuters off every night. how do you remote deactivate????? Me I just comute the 20 steps back to office in back yard.

Now if the notebook is stollen. What do we do to get the unknow thief to let us remote access to deactivate it???

I for one still un able to get smart walls, windows, and doors ovals, arches and even put roof on to keep the weather out of the hardwood floor that is not smart. :D Not complaining more just needeling! :D

Before band for life please Join me in thanking Everyone at Datacad for a great job! Understand I am glad you all work there and not me!!!! :) Just using 10% of my brain and about 5% of Datacad!

Laugh David, Mark, and Mark need to laugh then get the smarts out to us!!!!! :lol:

I am going back to find Vesa driver to reload the old version 4 to see the hardware speed up and see if all this smart is wearth it!!!! I could sware I put that 5 1/4" disk case in this box with the beam compass. Oops any one got a 5 1/4" floppy I could buy?
#52595 by melina
Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:35 am
In the spirit of Okcsailing...

Some time ago, I lost all access to some secured pdf standards purchased from Techstreet when my laptop became an "instant unsalvageable paperweight" (something about a spilled beverage). The hard drive survived, but Techstreet has it's standards imprint the SYSTEM to the file immediately upon download for security purposes. You can only use the standards on another computer via a request to Techstreet from the original system (i.e. the "instant unsalvageable paperweight"). Techstreet was unsympathetic - I had to buy everything again. The sting of this was fresh when this softlock discussion started...

Then again, what am I going to do - start using Autocad? (ah, hahahaha)

With my beverages now at a safe distance, I will take it on faith that the good of this change will outweigh the potential annoyances. I'm way too devoted to both the Datacad software and the family-friendly LLC that makes it possible. It is what it is...

Thanks again everyone!
melina

(...autocad...hee hee - I kill myself!)
#52596 by Mark Toce
Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:34 am
If your computer is stolen or becomes inoperable, you can call or email to tell us and we can deactivate the DataCAD installation from that computer, enabling you to install and activate it on a new one.
#52597 by Mark F. Madura
Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:08 pm
Okcsailing wrote:Mark's remote access to deactivate sounds functional. However, back to the one man office that turns comuters off every night, how do you remote deactivate?
Access Your Computer Anytime and Save Energy with Wake-on-LAN
http://lifehacker.com/#!348197/access-your-computer-anytime-and-save-energy-with-wake+on+lan
"You want access to your home computer wherever you are, whatever you're doing, whether that's via a remote desktop connection, SSH, FTP, web interface, or any other remote access you've set up. The catch is, you don't like throwing money away to an always-on system. Luckily you can have your digital cake and eat it, too, and today I'll show you how to boot and shut down your system remotely so that it's ready for you when you need it and it's not wasting energy when you don't."
#52598 by jimgoodman
Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:17 pm
melina wrote:In the spirit of Okcsailing...

Some time ago, I lost all access to some secured pdf standards purchased from Techstreet when my laptop became an "instant unsalvageable paperweight" (something about a spilled beverage). The hard drive survived, but Techstreet has it's standards imprint the SYSTEM to the file immediately upon download for security purposes. You can only use the standards on another computer via a request to Techstreet from the original system (i.e. the "instant unsalvageable paperweight"). Techstreet was unsympathetic - I had to buy everything again. The sting of this was fresh when this softlock discussion started...

melina

(...autocad...hee hee - I kill myself!)

We have several Adobe Acrobat Pro seats that use a softlock system and they have re-activated software for us when we have had similar hardware issues. We have had the same good experiences with the electronic building codes published by the ICC.

You might be able to shame Techstreet into honoring the old license if you told them that Adobe and the ICC do so.
#52600 by MtnArch
Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:56 pm
So far, I am lovin' NOT having to plug in my dongle on my laptop to work on DC!! Turn it on, double whack the X3 logo, and DRAW, baby!!

For my desktop 'puter, I'm not sure there's much of an advantage to dongle or not - but for the laptop it makes OODLES of sense to me!