Ask questions about DataCAD 17, DataCAD LT 17, or previous versions here.
#52524 by Mark Toce
Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:30 am
Mark Bell wrote:Hi Mark,

Your summary of the proposed new softlock option mentioned DataCAD needed a live internet connexion as it would periodically check the status of the license. When we upgrade to the next release of DataCAD:

1. Will the dongle still be available as a purchase option? (I don't have internet at home and have no need for it, yet do work at home using the second license dongle),
I don't know yet.

Mark Bell wrote:2. How frequent will DataCAD want to check the license using the internet - hourly, daily?

Thanks.

The software attempts to validate the license every day, but will continue to run up to 45 days without validation. Once 45 days has elapsed, you'll have to connect to the Internet and run DataCAD too validate the license. Once the license is validated, the timer is reset. You can then remain disconnected from the Internet and continue to run DataCAD for another 45 days.
#52526 by Mark Toce
Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:32 am
REX PEET wrote:Not sure that I like the softlock option. The dongle has always worked well for me, working with a desktop computer and a laptop on occasions.

As an alternative, would it be possible to allow DataCAD to run on two computers. Lots of software has allows installation on two or three computers for one licence.


Just like with your hardlock, you can still only use DataCAD on one computer at a time. You can install it on as many computers as you wish, but it is only active on one at a time.

You can deactivate from one computer and then activate on another, just like you disconnect your hardlock and then connect it to another computer.

If you forget to deactivate, use a remote login like Windows Remote Desktop Protocol to log into the computer remotely, deactivate DataCAD, and then disconnect and activate it on your other computer.
#52527 by Mark Toce
Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:37 am
joshhuggins wrote:Questions that popped up are who is running the licence server, what is the uptime for the server (if the license server has already been running for other software companies) and is there a secondary failsafe if the lience server goes down?


Validation with the server is only required once every 45 days. I have been using a copy of DataCAD that is configured to check every day, for testing purposes, and have never experienced a problem with validation. We are very confident that you will have 100% uptime and 0% downtime; you would need to lose your Internet connection for more than 45 days for the software to stop working.
#52531 by Tony Blasio
Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:07 am
Mark Toce wrote:
REX PEET wrote:Not sure that I like the softlock option. The dongle has always worked well for me, working with a desktop computer and a laptop on occasions.

As an alternative, would it be possible to allow DataCAD to run on two computers. Lots of software has allows installation on two or three computers for one licence.


Just like with your hardlock, you can still only use DataCAD on one computer at a time. You can install it on as many computers as you wish, but it is only active on one at a time.

You can deactivate from one computer and then activate on another, just like you disconnect your hardlock and then connect it to another computer.

If you forget to deactivate, use a remote login like Windows Remote Desktop Protocol to log into the computer remotely, deactivate DataCAD, and then disconnect and activate it on your other computer.


Can there be a way that you can force the deactivation? If I was to forget to deactivate at the office I can easily do the remote login from home and deactivate like you suggest. However, if I forget to deactivate it at home I do not have the means to remote into my home computer from the office. Additionally my computer may not be on at home. Of course if I forgot the hard lock at home I would be out of luck as well, but shouldn'tthe software be smarter than the hard lock?
#52532 by melina
Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:21 am
Without requesting top secret information, can I ask why DCAD wants to go to this system of license verification? Is the cost of dongles going up that much?
#52534 by David Porter
Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:09 pm
Tony brings up the same issue I will have. I use Log Me In to get from my home laptop to my office computers. I leave the office computers on 24/7 so that works. But, I don't leave my home laptop on unless I am using it. So, I too would not be able to log into my laptop from my office, so if after trudging through DCAD drawings over a weekend I forgot to deactivate my laptop from the DCAD license, I would have to take a drive back home to deactivate the laptop. Not a good way to start off a Monday.
#52535 by joshhuggins
Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:14 pm
Mark Toce wrote:Validation with the server is only required once every 45 days. I have been using a copy of DataCAD that is configured to check every day, for testing purposes, and have never experienced a problem with validation. We are very confident that you will have 100% uptime and 0% downtime; you would need to lose your Internet connection for more than 45 days for the software to stop working.
That sounds pretty good Mark, keeping the same time as the trial period. Allows for gaps in service either from the license server or our internet service provider.

Tony Blasio wrote:Can there be a way that you can force the deactivation? If I was to forget to deactivate at the office I can easily do the remote login from home and deactivate like you suggest. However, if I forget to deactivate it at home I do not have the means to remote into my home computer from the office. Additionally my computer may not be on at home. Of course if I forgot the hard lock at home I would be out of luck as well, but shouldn'tthe software be smarter than the hard lock?
Sounds like if you ran into this problem you could adjust your firewall to block Datacad from accessing the net for the day (upto 45 days) until you can get home to deactivate. A good ini option, if possible, would be to always run the deactivation tool when Datacad is shut down. We could set this to true on home systems to avoid any issues at work. Or the ini option could be to have a popup before Datacad asking if you wish to validate Datacad today. It would force activation after 45 days of non-activation. Just a few options that I think would take care of these valid points asked. Best of luck!
Image
#52543 by Steve Baldwin
Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:06 pm
joshhuggins wrote:... what is the uptime for the server ... and is there a secondary failsafe if the lience server goes down?

What if the trusty internet connection on our end happens to be down at the time that DataCAD is trying to validate the license?
#52545 by Mark Bell
Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:31 pm
Maybe DataCAD can offer two sale options, a cheaper softlock price and for those wanting a physical dongle, the current price (or whatever it might be). A third option might be the ability to purchase a 'bundle license' with one of each. For those not having an internet connexion or worried about the reliability of their own service provider (Murphy's Law will have it go down when you have your most important deadline :roll: ) then those who take work home can have the dongle at home and the softlock in the office which would likely have the internet connected.
#52548 by joshhuggins
Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:22 pm
Steve Baldwin wrote:
joshhuggins wrote:... what is the uptime for the server ... and is there a secondary failsafe if the lience server goes down?

What if the trusty internet connection on our end happens to be down at the time that DataCAD is trying to validate the license?
It sounds like it allow you to continue working for 45 days without a connection.
#52551 by MtnArch
Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:51 pm
I made the jump to the softlock on one of my X3 licenses today. So far the only downside is that you have to uninstall your current X3 first and then install the softlock version - but Mark says they think they may have a fix so you don't have to uninstall first! Gotta love everyone at DC LLC - always a step ahead of us!

The new splash screen as X3 loads is very cool!
#52553 by Mark F. Madura
Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:39 pm
Hello Alan et al.:

You do not have to uninstall first. We now have a dedicated updater for updating any previous DataCAD X3 'Hardlock' installation to a 'Softlock' installation.

MFM
#52559 by MtnArch
Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:29 pm
Thanks, Mark!

Booting up for the first (real) time without the hardlock and I'm **LOVING** it (oh ... sorry ... was I yelling? It's 'cause I **MEANT IT!!!**!!!)!

This has to be up there with the V8 3-in-1 upgrade - it is worth EVERY ($25 dongle swap-out) penny!

Color me :D right now!!
#52565 by Miguel Palaoro
Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:24 am
Mark F. Madura wrote:Hello Alan et al.:

You do not have to uninstall first. We now have a dedicated updater for updating any previous DataCAD X3 'Hardlock' installation to a 'Softlock' installation.

MFM

Great News, Mark!

This is the best (and smartest) solution for the issue. Congratulations!

Miguel
#52570 by melina
Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:48 am
From the original description:

"If it finds that DataCAD X3 Hardlock is already installed, it simply updates it with the latest fixes and enhancements. The universal installer will not replace the hardlock-protected version of DataCAD X3 with the softlock-protected version."

Is this still an option?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests

About DataCAD Forum

The DataCAD Forum is a FREE online community we provide to enhance your experience with DataCAD.

We hope you'll visit often to get answers, share ideas, and interact with other DataCAD users around the world.

DataCAD

Software for AEC Professionals Since 1984