Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#52601 by Mark Toce
Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:21 pm
Tony Blasio wrote:The Check for Update isn't finding the 13.06 update. Will it or is this strictly a manual download update?

Ok, the update to 13.06.02 is now posted on the Product Updates page:

http://www.datacad.com/update/update_dcx3.htm

This single update installer will update the hardlock version to 13.06.02, and also the softlock version to 13.06.02. If you previously installed the 13.06.00 update, you'll need to install this update manually; the automatic "Check for update" will not work. If you have 13.05.01 or earlier, you can use "Check for update" to update your software.
#52602 by juve
Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:42 pm
Hi Mark

I checked for updates from the Program's help menu and it updated from 13.05.01.06 to Version: 13.06.01.03 (H)

When I click "Check for Updates" it says there's a new version. Version 13-13.06.00

shoud I continue and update again?
Last edited by juve on Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#52603 by Mark F. Madura
Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:00 pm
juve wrote:When I click "Check for Updates" it says there's a new version. Version 13-13.06.00. Shoud I continue and update again?
No, there was a syntax error in the inf file on the website. Version: 13.06.01.03 (H) is the latest version.
#52608 by jimgoodman
Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:41 am

Ok, the update to 13.06.01 is now posted on the Product Updates page:

http://www.datacad.com/update/update_dcx3.htm

I just realized that the Revision History document includes everything back to to the beginning (When I was much younger and more observant :oops:)
It would really be great if the issue dates were included with the version number.
We have certainly come along way!
#52629 by MtnArch
Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:51 pm
Been on the road for the past 3 days - it has been SO nice just booting up the laptop, starting DC and not having to dig out the dongle to plug it in before starting DC!
#52632 by leke
Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:34 pm
I have a question regarding privacy. How much data is Datacad storying and or mining. Too many online companies are doing this to their customers, just think google. We are being followed around the web constantly and I am very tired of it, so much so that I'm thinking of just disconnecting from the internet. Now, Datacad is telling me....NO you must stay connected to the internet. For me and others who are thinking of leaving or never are connected, how does this help.
#52633 by MtnArch
Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:35 pm
DC isn't saying that you have to be connected all of the time - just once every 45 days for it to verify that you are running a legit copy. I've used Vectorworks in the past that DID require you to be constantly watched by them (not really an issue unless you were trying to run two copies of the same license at the same time).
#52635 by Ted B
Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:56 am
As I understand...if I've been using Datacad at the office and later that night decide to work on Datacad at home on my laptop, I have to log-out (deactivate) the office PC before I go home in-order to work on Datacad later that night? I like the idea of not needing the dongle to use my laptop at home in the evenings...it doesn't have a USB port to spare. But having to log-out of Datacad every afternoon just in case I might want to work that evening at home sounds like a pain. And if I forget to "deactivate" the laptop and I go back into the office the next morning I'm locked-out? ...Or am I not understanding the logistics? I gave up using Datacad at home on my old laptop since physically-removing the Ver-11 Printer-port hardware key and carrying it around was too-cumbersome. Maybe I'm better-off just buying a 2nd-seat license?

I'm going to take on-faith that Datacad will not "go evil" down the road like Autodesk and Google and use the 45-day internal clock as a means to force users to purchase expensive up-grades on a regular basis, or suddenly go to an arbitrary, unilateral subscription-model like Autocad. "...Up-grade within 45-days or your software will stop working FOREVER...Bwahhahahahah."

It's already enough of a problem with Autodesk's threat/promise to take the .DWG-format proprietary and lock many of us out of work where .DWG is contractually-mandated. The State of New Jersey now requires and accepts .Pdf-format submissions-only for reviews and approvals...even if the originals are hand-drawn.
#52644 by Steve Baldwin
Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:01 am
Ted B wrote:"...Up-grade within 45-days or your software will stop working FOREVER...Bwahhahahahah."

The "stop working" thing sort of reminds me of the reasons why even I hated the idea of the dongle when it was first introduced. I understand the reasons for DataCAD needing some sort of protection against the people that buy one license then load it for an office full of users ... and for protection against pirating. I'm a version behind right now, but have typically bought all of the upgrades since the mid 90's ... aside from learning it in college in the late 80's. I also added a second seat for the extra dongle for my laptop. However, that was version 11 ... my desktop at home is still old enough that I can't use 12 or X3 on it. Depending on how this softlock thing pans out, when I do upgrade that machine, I would probably again upgrade the second seat for it.

MY CONCERN: What if I get to a point where I just don't feel like I need to upgrade ... the software does all that I need or want it to do? Will that mean that at some point, that version ... where I stopped at ... will cease to work, either because the dongle goes bad and it can no longer be replaced, or in the case of a softlock, the version has become old enough that it is no longer supported? That being the case, would I indeed be forced to upgrade, just to continue using it ... even though what I had WAS a legal copy/seat?

Hopefully, I'll continue to see the need to keep relatively current, which would mean that this would never be an issue ... but what if it is?
#52646 by Paul Nida
Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:19 am
Having to log out of your computer at work and then log in with your computer at home or on the road is really no different than having to remember to take your dongle with you. You either have the dongle or you don't in which case you might have to go get it or not work at home. With the softlock Mark has shown on another thread a couple of ways to remotely log out and not have to go back to the office. So in that case the softlock is better. Now I don't 'THINK' Datacad would "go evil" on us but you never know. The worse case scenario would be that if Datacad, God forbid, would have to close their doors for whatever reason, whether economic or natural disaster, then we would all be screwed after 45 days. With the hardlock you may not get any updates but you could at least continue working. Hopefully that will never come to pass but it is the one major concern I have with the softlock.
#52648 by Steve Baldwin
Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:30 am
Paul Nida wrote:The worse case scenario would be that if Datacad, God forbid, would have to close their doors for whatever reason, whether economic or natural disaster...

This too...

I would hope that if something would happen to end DataCAD LLC (again, God forbid), that the good people at DataCAD would somehow issue some sort of code to all of its registered users to unlock the software permanently.
Last edited by Steve Baldwin on Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
#52649 by Paul Nida
Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:31 am
One other thing on this issue. I have 2 personal copies of v.12 one of which I have upgraded to X3 although we are still using v.12 at the office. I plan to keep the dongle on that copy, but I am going to upgrade the second one to a softlock for my laptop.

One idea might be to have the future upgrades to use the original X3 dongle and not have to keep sending out new dongles with every new version. You still would be able to use only one at a time and that would seem to me to be better than sending out a new dongle each time. It would be cheaper and it would eliminate the ability for two people to be working on the same license at the same time just different versions and saving back and forth.
#52656 by Ted B
Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:39 am
However, that was version 11 ... my desktop at home is still old enough that I can't use 12 or X3 on it. Depending on how this softlock thing pans out, when I do upgrade that machine, I would probably again upgrade the second seat for it.

Steve, don't be embarrassed, I'm still using Ver-11 at the office due to an elderly work PC. It's my new home laptop that can run X3 that got me thinking about a second license or swapping the dongle/softkey back and forth. Due to health concerns with an equally-elderly parent I'm not getting a lot of billable office drafting time in...and I have projects that need attention. I keep budgeting for a new office PC...and other bills keep "stealing" from my CAD budget. Running Datacad and other contempoary software on an old 600mHz Athlon with just 25 gB of Hard Drive space has been a resource challenge.

At least new work is finally starting to come in again. Just 45-days ago I had NO WORK PENDING; no new projects and no current projects generating new billable hours. Very scary...
#52661 by Steve Baldwin
Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:28 pm
Ted B wrote:
However, that was version 11 ... my desktop at home is still old enough that I can't use 12 or X3 on it. Depending on how this softlock thing pans out, when I do upgrade that machine, I would probably again upgrade the second seat for it.

Steve, don't be embarrassed, I'm still using Ver-11 at the office due to an elderly work PC ... <snip> ... I keep budgeting for a new office PC...and other bills keep "stealing" from my CAD budget. Running Datacad and other contempoary software on an old 600mHz Athlon with just 25 gB of Hard Drive space has been a resource challenge.

I hear ya!!! Sounds similar to my machine ... but I might have ya beat ... mine is still win98SE!!! DataCAD-11's panning is a bit choppy, but otherwise is still runs great for what I use it for.