Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#3841 by csteidel
Thu Jun 30, 2005 7:14 am
We just converted our office to V11 and all of us (not just me with the 32 meg file.. see below) are noticing that autosaves seem to take much more time than under v10... under version 10 they were hardly noticable. Isn't there anything that can be done to make them happen in the background so DataCAD doesn't freeze? Am I taking a big risk setting autosave interval to 15 minutes?

By the way we had a DC5 file that had grown to 11 megs (it was badly due for a Lyrutil) but when converted to *.AEC it was only 4 megs. However, when you check DIRECTORY it said 32 megs (which I guess is the size of the swap file before compression)! I assume the autosave is saving this 32 meg file and not doing any compression or purging.
#3845 by Philip Hart
Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:08 am
Yes, I think that all of your guesses are correct. My perception is that the larger v11 file sizes + the added step of file compression + sending the autosave file across a network = noticeable delays when working in DataCAD. It is especially annoying when you have multiple drawing files open. I believe that they are all autosaving - each at the autosave interval, timed from when each file was opened.

Things that you can do: minimize the number of files open at any given time; minimize file size; set autosave interval to a compromise setting (I use 15 minutes). Also, double-check that you're running the latest version of DataCAD 11 (11.07.00) - I think there might have been some improvement along the way, but I'm not sure.
#3847 by Neil Blanchard
Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:28 am
Hello Carl:

You should be sure to update all the v11 installations to the latest version (v11.07.00) -- early on, there was an issue with networks and certain versions of Windows that caused a long delay. I think it was soemthing to do with checking the network for a site license hardlock, or something like that. If you have not updated them yet, this is a likely cause.

BTW, to update v11, just go to the Help/Check for Update. For multiple machines, you can then copy the installer to the other machines -- look in the C:/Program Files/DataCAD/Internet Delivered Updates folder.