Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#62401 by chunter@vineyard.net
Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:24 pm
That is hard to try and figure out from a distance. What flavor of Windows
are you running? It' is the same computer (a laptop?) in both places? Are
there XRef's, and if so, are those also on the hard drive, or are they on a
server?

it is the same MAC - running OS x version 10.75

windows is VM ware version 5.0.3, XP professional 2002 service pak 3

and believe it or not, no it's not a laptop - I lug the same giant desktop mac around new england

sometimes there are refs and sometimes there aren't - that doesn't seem to affect anything - if there are xrefs they are local on this hard drive

also these files aren't that big - I am not sufficiently skilled to use the 3D features so it's all 2D -

the work around is just to leave the wifi off while working and if I need to look something up I just turn it on - rather a PIA, no pandora - very sad but not life threatening - there may be no ready answer?
#62402 by Aaron Ben-Avraham
Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:31 pm
chunter@vineyard.net wrote:saving to Network in ma is fine

saving to Local in vt. I just turn the wifi off when i want to save then back on

um maybe I should get an ethernet cable for vermont ????- instead of saving via wifi ??????- I'll try that

To note. It is the same computer. I lug it back and forth. Weird huh?

Hi CH

Do you ever connect to the office in MA remotely from VT with any type of VPN software (i.e. Windows RRAS/VPN, log-me-in, etc) or with a router VPN connection, or do you only access network resources on the MA office LAN when you are there in MA?

What OS is on the server machine in MA. If it is a Windows Server OS, Is your VT machine part of a/the Windows domain?

Aaron Ben-Avraham
Atlanta, GA
#62404 by chunter@vineyard.net
Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:55 pm
heading toward murky ground - I do access my MA server - by going to MAC finder then connect to server - it's a little slow but it works - but I don't work remotely off that server - it's too slow - I copy what I need to my local desktop then use it from there and copy it back to the MA server when I'm done - I have no idea how it does that - cloud thingy???? as for that server - it's a little black box i.e. beats me how it works or what operating system it is -

see previous post for operating sys info

I'm a really good home designer - really -
#62590 by arizonasand
Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:18 pm
I have version 14 and also noticed the slower response time on file saves. The last version of datacad that I had used was version 11. Big difference in the save time. I believe that with me its the amount of ram that I have. With the newer versions more memory is needed with any software program. I am using a slim line design PC with only 4gb of memory and a intel corei5 processor. I will be upgrading when I can get a few more jobs under my belt. On the Autocad. Thats not too bad. I was doing some work at another office using revit with a del lap top - 32gb of memory and an Intel i7 chip. It took 45 minutes to load a large BIM model over the network from the server. Funny thing is that I was working at the Intel site.LOL. Thank goodness that datacad doesnt take that long.

Datacad still rocks over the Autodesk stuff.

PJ :P