Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#56447 by joshhuggins
Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:44 pm
Hmmm no changes here really, could you have enabled something lately wih xrefs (nesting?) that maybe causing it?
#56452 by Tony Blasio
Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:05 am
I can confirm v14 seems to save slower, at least on our network.
#56471 by David A. Giesselman
Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:44 pm
Guys:

I develop enhancements and new features with the belief that hardware will not get slower. The latest version is indeed storing more information than ever before and will therefore take somewhat longer to save. How many of you have experienced the latest versions of Autocad? Do you have any idea just how long it takes to merely load the application, much less load and save drawings? It's really quite painful. I'm not making excuses, just trying to point out that enhancements can sometimes cost a bit of computing horsepower. It's my hope that any time you might lose waiting for a file to load or save will more than be made up for with productivity gains realized through new features and enhancements.

Dave
#56472 by Tony Blasio
Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:55 pm
AutoCAD? I haven't touched that since 1995! That's when I started using DataCAD, never looked back.

Sounds like there is good reason for the save times. Until Neil posted I assumed it was our network causing it. :)
#56473 by Paul Nida
Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:08 pm
I remember the old days when it took an hour and a half to plot one drawing or when a refresh might take several minutes, so I am not too concerned if it takes an extra few seconds to open or close a file. And honestly I can't say that I have much of a delay anyway.
#56479 by David A. Giesselman
Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:37 pm
Lemme give ya a fer instance:

On my machine, it takes ~12 seconds to load DataCAD to where it is ready to open a drawing. For Autocad 2012, it takes ~43 seconds to get to the same point from when I launch it and even longer if it's the first time during the day that I've run it ("First run initialization... nonsense"). Apparently, Autocad pre-loads certain DLLs (or something) on its initial run of the day (or after a certain amount of time) and leaves them laying about in memory for some amount of time to accelerate subsequent load-times. Personally, I'd prefer my applications not leave bloated, bread-crumbs laying about in memory when I'm not using them. That's just me though. :roll:

FWIW
Dave
#56480 by MtnArch
Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:52 pm
Well, see? There's the problem, Dave - you thoughtfully craft software bugs that are nice and tidy, but AutoCAD thoughtlessly throws everything everywhere for someone else to clean up!

Hmmm ... seems DataCAD is the responsible adult and AutoCAD is the thoughtless teenager!
#56497 by joshhuggins
Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:32 am
If the slow down is when saving to the server, bottlenecks to check are gonna be your network speed (ie; nic speeds & cabling, routing equip speeds), local HD read & write performance, and destination server's available hard drive write speed and net card available bandwidth. These would be my first places to look. Maybe a switch or net device has gone bad, or a cable is shorting out causing packet loss and signal degradation. Are all systems saving slower now? One side of the office? Any changes in Anti Virus / Antimalware / firewall software? Other changes? We moved to CAT6 gear about two years ago and it was a great bump in performance, even a little better performance for 100MB devices FWIW.
#62383 by chunter@vineyard.net
Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:09 pm
running data cad 14 in MA office (network with internet service via comcast which is faster) save happens normally - at the vermont office (DSL provided by TDS - no network) if WIFI is turned ON saving is incredibly slow. If WIFI is turned OFF saving is very zippy/normal - any comments???? this does not affect saving in other programs - just datacad
#62388 by joshhuggins
Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:16 pm
Are you saving to a networked location or to your local hard drive?
#62395 by chunter@vineyard.net
Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:30 am
saving to Network in ma is fine

saving to Local in vt. I just turn the wifi off when i want to save then back on

um maybe I should get an ethernet cable for vermont ????- instead of saving via wifi ??????- I'll try that

To note. It is the same computer. I lug it back and forth. Weird huh?
#62396 by Neil Blanchard
Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:49 pm
A wifi LAN is possibly *much* slower than a CAT5 LAN. It sounds like you are defaulting to the wifi, and yes, it can be 1/10th (or less) as fast as a CAT5 cable. The reason (possibly?) that DataCAD shows this difference, is that it is the largest files you are working with.