Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#4256 by Heinrich
Thu Jul 14, 2005 3:19 pm
I was wondering if there was a way to set the z-height to 0. The majority of work that I do is in plan view. Rather than changing it at each layer is there a default variable that can be changed? This would save me some time and you know, 'time is money'. Thanks in advance for any help.

-Redd
#4270 by Tony Blasio
Thu Jul 14, 2005 8:23 pm
Under the settings menu there is a toggle at S9 labeled "Z by Layer". If you turn this off then your Z-settings will be global. Then just press your "Z" key and set both your base and height to 0. You will now be drawing flat.

Hope this helps.
#4274 by Dick Eades
Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:35 pm
If you want it to always be at zero, change it in the default file and all new files after that will be set that way.
#4278 by Heinrich
Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:24 am
Thanks Tony, thats exactly what I was looking for. I couldn't seem to find it in the manual.
And Dick, I have since done this and many other changes to my default drawing. The only problem is most of the work I have been doing for these guys has been renovation and addition projects to existing buildings. Ones that have already been drawn by other CAD operators.

This does bring up another question I thought of last night over a plate of 3-mile island wings at Hooters. Does the z-height affect the file size in any way? The reason I ask is because of the file size limit in LT. I have the full version on my PC, but my boss has LT on his laptop. Sometimes he gets so far into a drawing and has to send it to me in order to continue work on it.

Sorry for the long post here, but I'm new to not only this forum, but also DataCAD itself ( going on 5 months now).
Thanks again.

-Redd
#4279 by Neil Blanchard
Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:03 am
Hello Redd & welcome!

Heinrich wrote:[snip] Does the z-height affect the file size in any way? The reason I ask is because of the file size limit in LT. I have the full version on my PC, but my boss has LT on his laptop. Sometimes he gets so far into a drawing and has to send it to me in order to continue work on it.

Sorry for the long post here, but I'm new to not only this forum, but also DataCAD itself ( going on 5 months now).

I do not think that Z-Height has any affect on file size, since if the value is zero, it is still a value that has to be stored in the database.

Ways to reduce or minimize the files size:

:arrow: Always use associative hatching -- there are several ways to get this to work in any situation!

:arrow: Always use associative dimensions.

:arrow: Keep the use of TTF fonts to a minimum, and use the "lightest" CHR font possible.

:arrow: Use XRef's if necessary, to split up large files -- though LT can't change the XRef's (how they are shown), but it can be used with XRef's that are set up by the full version.

:arrow: Don't use line weights (at least this used to matter.)

Another comment: the cost of LT can be applied to the purchase of a full version (full credit) -- and since you already have one copy of the full license, the addition license is $495 - $200 (credit) - 10% (until Aug. 31st w/ free shipping) = $265.50 . No too bad, huh? :)
#4284 by Heinrich
Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:36 am
Neil,
Those are all very good tips, thank you.

Neil Blanchard wrote:$265.50 . No too bad, huh? :)

I'll have to let him know about that, but he's fairly content with LT. And he's even more content on holding on to his cash :?

Thanks again.

-Redd
#4303 by Dick Eades
Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:51 pm
Heinrich wrote:And Dick, I have since done this and many other changes to my default drawing. The only problem is most of the work I have been doing for these guys has been renovation and addition projects to existing buildings. Ones that have already been drawn by other CAD operators.

One tip on getting the use of your default files: You could simply copy/paste the entire file into a new file that is based on your default. That should get you close.

It's too bad that we don't have a way of storing the default settings in a separate file that could be applied to an existing file to import new default settings. But for now, the copy/paste is the only thing that comes to mind for me.

Anyone else?