Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#4256 by Heinrich
Thu Jul 14, 2005 3:19 pm
I was wondering if there was a way to set the z-height to 0. The majority of work that I do is in plan view. Rather than changing it at each layer is there a default variable that can be changed? This would save me some time and you know, 'time is money'. Thanks in advance for any help.

-Redd
#4270 by Tony Blasio
Thu Jul 14, 2005 8:23 pm
Under the settings menu there is a toggle at S9 labeled "Z by Layer". If you turn this off then your Z-settings will be global. Then just press your "Z" key and set both your base and height to 0. You will now be drawing flat.

Hope this helps.
#4274 by Dick Eades
Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:35 pm
If you want it to always be at zero, change it in the default file and all new files after that will be set that way.
#4278 by Heinrich
Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:24 am
Thanks Tony, thats exactly what I was looking for. I couldn't seem to find it in the manual.
And Dick, I have since done this and many other changes to my default drawing. The only problem is most of the work I have been doing for these guys has been renovation and addition projects to existing buildings. Ones that have already been drawn by other CAD operators.

This does bring up another question I thought of last night over a plate of 3-mile island wings at Hooters. Does the z-height affect the file size in any way? The reason I ask is because of the file size limit in LT. I have the full version on my PC, but my boss has LT on his laptop. Sometimes he gets so far into a drawing and has to send it to me in order to continue work on it.

Sorry for the long post here, but I'm new to not only this forum, but also DataCAD itself ( going on 5 months now).
Thanks again.

-Redd
#4303 by Dick Eades
Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:51 pm