Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#58560 by lswatts
Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:24 pm
ive scoured the web and can only find spanish tutorials.
videos are the best way to learn for me. does anyone know of any?
we are starting a new firm and datacad seems a good fit except for the lack of training which is very important.
any thoughts?
#58568 by Clayton Taylor
Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:05 pm
Hi Larry,

Indeed, it seems Mark Madura gave up on this subject at DataCAD version 10, despite the general consensus by the users it was a vital key to maintain DataCAD's popularity, great having smart tools (some), even greater to know how to use them. :roll:

Video tutorials are the way forward on this, as it not only helps your target audience, but also adds promotion in for free. :idea:
I remember seeing some SketchUP video tutorials when SU was first released, needless to say I bought SU the following week. :)

This subject has been aired many times on the DC forum, but Mark Madura for whatever reason has not delivered, it beats me, as the cost to do this once you've bought your movie screen capture software must be negligible. Anyway the last time it was mentioned or should I say debated quite intensively to why there was still no new movies tutorials for the DC smarts & 3D in general was as recent when DCv14 was released.

Unfortunately it wasn't Mark Madura of DataCAD that stepped up to the plate, :roll: but our friend Matthew Cockroft, you'll find some DC14 movie tutorials on the link below, I hope this helps:-

http://www.screencast.com/users/PROCADSYS

But you'll also find some SPIRIT movie files as well that are very useful if you're considering SPIRIT Pro 2012 as well. I recently bought SPIRIT Pro 2012 but haven't had that much time using it as yet. All I would say is that DC is still very intuitive to use for quick fire 2D drafting for construction plans etc compared to SPIRIT, but SPIRIT has had to change it's interface for it's turbo charged 3D drafting development, which can sometimes be confusing with the amount of extra menu's it has over DC. But even having said that, there are some very nice 2D tools that DC doesn't have. All in all I'll probably run both for the next year or so with the latest versions they have, but I reckon some enthusiasm/direction has been lost with DC of late, which puts SPIRIT Pro 2012 in my book with a more certain future with quicker development at this point in time.............DC smart roofs....still waiting.. :?:

Over & out,
Clayton.
#58569 by Nick Pyner
Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:28 pm
I don't think the cost would be negligible, even though the software can be had for free. I have done a couple and even my basic efforts were quite time-consuming. The stuff those guys in Brazil have done would be quite expensive if they were paid for.
#58570 by Clayton Taylor
Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:33 am
Nick Pyner wrote:I don't think the cost would be negligible, even though the software can be had for free. I have done a couple and even my basic efforts were quite time-consuming. The stuff those guys in Brazil have done would be quite expensive if they were paid for.

Nick, o.k. if we're to pick the bones of this, time is cost I agree, but sometimes we give this willingly, as Matt has done, so if we believe in DataCAD or SPIRIT for that matter, time is sometimes given, it would appear for free, but actually assists the end result. If you're self employed as I am or run a small CAD business as Mark Madura, there's stuff you just can't expect to get paid for. So if we start to lose this, we all might as well just buy AutoDesk products & have done with it & join the STEPFORD society of CAD operatives. :roll:

So it's good to see the small CAD software business still has some fight left, albeit even if it doesn't come from your own back yard. :?:

Over & out,
Clayton.
#58571 by joshhuggins
Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:56 am
It's not that time consuming :wink:
#60316 by fsoliver
Tue May 21, 2013 10:01 pm
Ok, but how do I see the captions, and how do I translate them?

Push play. See the icon with a triangle in the lower right corner? Hover the mouse over it, then hover over the "CC". Clicking the "CC" will turn on the captions, in English. To translate, hover over the arrow to the left of the CC, click "Translate Captions", and select the language to translate to. Go ahead, try it out. It's pretty slick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... wj2TGurBn4

http://thelaunchpad.xprize.org/2010/01/ ... os-to.html