Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#4504 by Steve Baldwin
Thu Jul 21, 2005 4:53 pm
Hi all.

I have a question...

We have somebody here in the office that insists that he is drawing to scale ... everything to clean numbers. However, I am finding just a bit too often that when I use a floor plan, for example, in which he has primarily done all of the work, in order for me to do building sections, for example, there are these minuscule errors in the line work of his files.

Just for kicks, we turned on DataCad's accuracy setting to 256 to look at some dimension strings ... first one of his files, then one of mine. His had several goofy dimensions (X'-X 253/256", etc.), mine did not.

Just in case it makes a difference, he uses Direction-Distance, I use Relative-Cartesian.

Any Clues about what the problem could be?
#4506 by joshhuggins
Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:28 pm
Howdy Steve,

Well it could be several things. First I would guess is the difference in input methods. Does he input using the mouse or by hitting the spacebar? Curves in a drawing can really through things off. Also there have been some snapping anomalies (especially with xrefs) in the last few versions, which have made some of my drawings a little difficult to work with when set at 256 accuracy. 253/256 was a common size I was getting while trying to fix a drawing when the high accuracy was turned on. They do seem better using the last few beta versions for 11.08 (which should be out soon). It's really hard to say exactly what he could be doing different. I would suggest finding out what accuracy level you and your co-workers would like to use and set that in your base drawings. For most 32nds or 64ths is fine, but when working with small details, a higher accuracy is handy. Grids are handy too. I have started using grids just for snapping purposes because the snapping was wrong here and there. Setting the snap grid to 1/16" seems to be helping, but I still hand type all of my measurements instead of using the mouse. Just ideas.

I wouldn't get on your co-worker too much, it's most likely something funky Datacad is doing if you were to zoom in on the the cursor while drawing. There are probably a few things he could do to help, like zooming in a bit more while snapping, to make sure Datacad is actualy snapping to what you want. I opened a few old drawings from ver 9 & 10 with the new accuracy, they are 99.9% free of those 256 fractions. Only drawings worked on since probably 11.05 seem to carry a few of these weird fractions. Snapping is on the list of improvments so I'd hang in there for a bit and hopefully this will be a buggy of the past soon.

For what it's worth,
Josh
#4507 by jlmcougar
Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:31 pm
Maybe both of you should be drawing in the same relative-cartisian mode. I find that using the didtance-direction too much depends on where you point of origon is. I have the same problem in my office. I insist that he use relative -cartisin and that from time to time check that the tangents have not changed by a keystrock misspunch.
#4516 by MtnArch
Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:25 pm
#4535 by Steve Baldwin
Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:49 am
Hmm. We played with this for a bit this morning. It does seem that there may just be some sort of glitch in DataCad ... maybe even a version-specific glitch. We opened a handful of other files that we had both done, then changed the accuracy setting to 256 and looked at the associative dimension numbers ... some files had a few errors, some had no goofy numbers at all.
#4557 by Dick Eades
Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:24 am
I wonder if some of the problems using dir/dist don't come from thinking that ortho is locked on when it isn't.
#4589 by MtnArch
Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:28 pm
#4610 by Miguel Palaoro
Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:55 am
#4649 by Steve Baldwin
Mon Jul 25, 2005 5:20 pm
Hi Miguel.

In trying to figure out what was going on, we opened several files ... some that had been converted from V10, and some that had only been worked on in V11. There didn't seem to be any consistency on what files the goofy numbers would show up in. Even some of the converted ones from previous versions came up perfectly clean, while some that had only been worked on in V11 were goofy.
#4660 by Miguel Palaoro
Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:22 am