Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#58874 by John Daglish
Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:25 am
The font utility SHP2CHR is not included in the latest DCAD 15.
Rather than reinstall some old versions of dcad to look for it could someone send it to me please if you have it readily available .. :)

SHP2CHR
This command-line utility for compiling SHP files to DataCAD CHR fonts is included with DataCAD in the \CHR or \Fonts folder.

Thanks

John Daglish
johndaglish @
free.fr
#58876 by Roger D
Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:35 am
found it in a ver 11 fonts, sent seperately.
#65751 by Richard Mauser
Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:27 am
Hi all,

I recently updated a font in a SHP file, and tried to convert it to a CHR file using SHP2CHR, but my operating system stopped me, with the pop-up message: "The version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows you are running", which is Windows 7.
Is there an updated SHP2CHR file out there that will work under a 64-bit OS? Or another way to do it?
#65752 by Roger D
Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:44 am
might try right clickig on shp2chr.exe, pick the compatability tab, and pick an older version of windows.
Attachments
Shr2Chr.png
Shr2Chr.png (56.81 KiB) Viewed 12056 times
#65753 by Richard Mauser
Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:23 pm
Tried that, and I keep getting the same result, even in '95 compatibility mode!
Then I downloaded DOSBox, and after trying that blast from the past, I decided to pound my thumb with a hammer, which is less painful and more productive.
My next attempt will be installing "Windows Virtual PC". I still have one good thumb left. Stay tuned....
Well, WVPC XP simulation only works for the high end windows7 products, not the home edition. So, I'm ... what's the term ... SOL...?
Wait a minute... I have a lap top that might be 32 bit windows 7... hope lives on ... but no, that is also 64 bit.
$#%@#$^*&%&#@%%^^%!%!%@!!!!!

So, I found a GUI for DOSBox called D-Fend Reloaded, installed it and found it much easier to drag and drop the SHP2CHR.EXE file into it. Double click on it and it loads into DOSBox, and is ready for typing the SHP file name, which I did. Voila! Fini! Merde! Nothing happens. No resulting execution of a CHR file.
At the risk of being redundant, $#%@#$^*&%&#@%%^^%!%!%@!!!!!

The Solution:
Pull out the old XP machine from storage, start it up, run the SHP2FILE on the thumb drive, and its done.
The Lesson: Don't toss the old technology. It works, in less time than it takes to set up a VM!
#65754 by Richard Mauser
Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:51 pm
But old computers won't last forever.
Which brings me back to my original question, and other ones:
1) Has the SHP2CHR file been updated to work on a 64 bit machine?
2) If not, what is the new way to make fonts?
3) Can a SHP file be imported into whatever method is used to make new fonts?
4) Does nobody make fonts anymore, since TTF are ubiquitous? (The CHR fonts are so small, they don't add a lot to a drawing file size...)
5) Does anybody care?

One inquiring mind wants to know...

Thank you Roger for your suggestion.
#65756 by MtnArch
Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:19 pm
Hi Richard -

1) The SHP2CHR **WON'T** work on a 64bit system - even if you try to set it to the accessibility mode.
2) Use an SHX file.
3) I don't think this will work.
4) You can always look for SHX fonts.
5) There are a LOT of us that DO care!

I do have a 32bit machine that I can try and convert your file - can you e-mail the SHP file to a-t-hendry*AT*netzero*DOT*net? I'll give it a shot and see what happens.
#65759 by Richard Mauser
Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:47 am
Hi Alan,

Thanks for the reply. I fired up my old XP and did it. I'll keep it around for these occasions. I like the font I tweaked (I may be the only one) because its simple and I spent enough time tweaking it. Although it doesn't add character, it doesn't overwhelm the drawing. Basically, its the DataCAD Roman CHR font modified to make numerals like 6, 8 and 9 noticeably different (avoiding potential dimensioning issues), and I added a bunch of symbols like ¼½¾±Ø¹²³º with the correct ANSI #s and did a bunch of fraction capabilities (#/8ths and #/16ths). I use the TTF for titles - they stand out that way.