Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#59392 by wvar
Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:34 am
I have just started using Live Sections and Live Elevations using the Section command.
I am planning on editing the generated linework (ie. changing colours, type, deleting, offsetting etc. to complete the section rather than tracing over the generated lines.
What do other user do?
#59423 by wvar
Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:56 pm
Comments will be greatly appreciated.
Was this a dumb question? or
Don't people use Live Sections
#59426 by Bruce111
Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:40 am
Hi Walter,

No such thing as a dumb question!

I have started to use SU again of late, then bring it into Datacad for setting out etc and other Datacad goodies. I have used the section tool, however the way I am using it , it seems to takes a long time to generate a section. perhaps I am doing something wrong! Any pointers on how to speed thing along?
#59427 by wvar
Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:25 am
Thanks for your reply Bruce.
The SU model is drawn using SU8 (paid version). The model consists of 3D terrain and building for an unremarkeable single house remodel.
The groups in SU are placed on separate layers for terrain, sub floor, floor, walls, doors, windows etc.
The model is then Xrefed into Dcad.
Set colours for section cut and different colour for the rest of the model. No other special settings selected. Toggle off unecessary layers.
Draw section cut line and place section on drawing. The section is generated almost instantly.
Edit section linework to suit (eg colours, delete uneccesary lines, add lines).
Update generated section if SU model changes.
Edit section linework again to suit (eg colours, delete uneccesary lines, add lines).
Is this what other user's do?
#59437 by Bruce111
Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:47 am
That's interesting and is how I have previously tried it. I have only just started to play around with this method of production of drawings.

I have found that the section cuts can take some time to generate dependant on model size especially with background on (Section only is quick in Datacad). The way I have tried is to export, 2D graphic, DWG from SU and import into DataCad. This seems to be quicker when exporting the section slice with background on.

If the model changes I have to re export from SU and re import into Datacad. I then normally just manually move the amended parts into the previous cleaned up drawing rather than start changing colours and weights etc etc again.

I am currently experimenting with this and have found myself wishing for the best of both SU and Datacad worlds.
#65374 by dmartens
Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:05 am
I am in the process of trying to use the section tool as well. For the most part it looks like I will trace over the section and edit the background for colors etc. I have yet been unable to get the update to work. And the manual is especially bad for this topic. Everywhere else the manual discusses all the options available but the sections part just says to select what you want and go. And if you change just update. Would like to hear from someone who knows (Datacad?) how this works