Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#61223 by E_maust
Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:17 am
So when you imported the file into Thea with weld vertices enabled, it didn't look like the image I sent? Could you email me the 3ds file you exported?
#61226 by E_maust
Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:38 am
Whether or not weld vertices is on seems to make no difference for me when opening models, so it must be a problem within my version of Thea, it appears. I'll contact their support team about it. Do you mind if I use any of the images you sent from your imports as a reference when contacting them?
Attachments
lil_house_weld.jpg
lil_house_weld.jpg (63.47 KiB) Viewed 15664 times
lil_house_noweld.jpg
lil_house_noweld.jpg (61.7 KiB) Viewed 15664 times
#61228 by melina
Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:47 am
Is this siding rendering problem actually due to triangles or just a moire effect? The moire will occur with unexploded symbols (according to renderer's literature) with some textures. I have this happen with Dcad's kitchen cabinets in Thea and Indigo. Also voids in slabs can do funky things with the normals which may effect how the textures lay.
#61232 by melina
Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:55 am
I'm glad this issue was solved. This was a really good learning discussion. Thanks to Mark for playing with a third-party program for us too.
#61270 by Robert Scott
Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:12 pm
My business partner, Troy Homenchuk, just had the following tutorial published on Sketchupartist.org explaining the workflow we use for Thea for Sketchup. The same process could be used by those importing a 3DS file direct from DataCAD.

The models used in the tutorial were produced in Sketchup from a DataCAD file by Ethan McMorrow Design & Associates, Nantucket, MA.

http://www.sketchupartists.org/tutorial ... r-process/

Robert
#61358 by dmax
Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:55 am
For 3D Models of newly Designed Homes I use V15 and Smart Walls...exported to Sketch Up w/ Podium V2 Plugin for Materials and Textures....then Podium Walker for quick Photorealistic Renderings & Animations. Rendering w/ Podium(rather than PW) is slower but with higher res, but has more exposure control.
Podium V2 adds reflections and bump textures etc. to materials, and Lighting Fixtures and virtual lighting w/ realistic shadowing.
Careful to remove smoothing from DataCAD's textures and cut down entities on Smart Wndws and Drs. so not to be large groups for Sketch Up edits, will save time w/ finished Model.
I have made Finished Models with just DataCAD too. -Very powerful, but a bit complex.
I edit my DataCAD Smart Wall Model with Roof, Trim, and some materials much quicker with Sketch Up and Podium.
Reflections, texturing, and Lighting the big plus w/ Podium.
For existing Homes generally I use DataCAD w/o Smart Walls if I have to draw from pdf's or DC5 files etc. assign z attributes then export to Sketch Up.
Attachments
WILSON-DataCAD.jpg
DataCAD/SketchUp/PodiumV2/PodiumWalker Rendering
WILSON-DataCAD.jpg (190.21 KiB) Viewed 14951 times
#61736 by joshhuggins
Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:41 am