Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#60744 by E_maust
Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:45 am
Our architectural business currently uses Datacad x3 but is planning on upgrading to 15 before much longer. This year we've started doing more modeling and rendering for our clients, and have simply used the Datacad/o2c program for all of this. However, as we begin doing more renderings and working to improve the quality of these renderings, we were wondering if we need to branch out and buy a rendering program to use with Datacad, or if the modeling/rendering options in Datacad 15 will be better than Datacad x3 enough to allow higher quality/more realistic renderings. Any thoughts or suggestions? I'd also like to know how others go about the modeling/rendering process with Datacad.
#60816 by cadline
Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:55 am
4 storey.jpg
4 storey.jpg (252.28 KiB) Viewed 28641 times
We have always modelled and rendered in DataCAD
With DataCAD 15 Sun Shader, now with shadows, we get much better renderings
#60826 by csmckillip
Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:29 pm
I will reply to this topic, I have been using Datacad for a little while now (V5), I am now just registered in a LT version as I have everything I need to complete my working drawings with it. Sometimes it gets a little
frustrating not being able to hit the Identify command set all, but I have deal with multiple clicks to get the job done.

The last 3d model I really did all in Datacad is X12, I find other modeling programs to be faster and separating the two keeps my mind at ease somewhat. I need to revisit the tools in V15 as I would really like my models to be more BIM
associated but for now I use good old Sketchup. Why Sketchup you ask....... The 3D Warehouse is full of models I don't have to recreate just drag and drop them into place, ect. I also use several modeling tools to help me in the design process
like opening doors and windows, roof design, and site work. Every second counts as $$$ spent.

I am going to use one example of my work to go thru my process. I am sure others here do the exact same thing as there is only a couple of ways to skin a cat, lol.

I start with the client and sketch by had what they are wanting to see, its quick and dirty, I can get feedback right at the table and proceed with some blocking out of the design.

120112-St_Jude_Hand_Drawing (Medium).jpg
Hand Sketch
120112-St_Jude_Hand_Drawing (Medium).jpg (134.66 KiB) Viewed 28641 times

I will also do this for the floor plans and try and get a feel for the overall design. I am good with thinking thru this process as I take into account the plate heights and the floor heights.
Next I will get the floorplans approved by the client and signed off, There will be changes but I try and stay away from moving exterior stud walls. The program that I use in Sketchup allows me to move
exterior walls and adjust plates as needed and I try and match my sketch as much as possible.

Once the model is blocked out in Sketchup and I have a roof design I bring this back into datacad and start adding in all the details like windows and doors, brackets, hatches, ect that I didn't have in my model.
My main goal is to produce a good set of construction documents - That's what I am getting paid for.

So after I have everything good for client review I will go and render a shot or two in Sketchup - I also use an external render to produce the final shots.
There are a lot of options out there and several different ones provide me with different results. If you want Photo realistic stuff I would use V-ray, Shaderlight, Twilight, ect. The process is time consuming and you could wait hours for final results. There are some other good VR rendering or animation packages also on the market and results will vary.

We have been using Lumion. Its expensive but what you can do in a short amount of time in groundbreaking. Attached is a screenshot of the sketch above.

St Jude 2013 Dream House (Large) (Medium).jpg
St Jude Dream Home
St Jude 2013 Dream House (Large) (Medium).jpg (249.7 KiB) Viewed 28641 times

I designed this home for the 2013 St Jude Dream Home Giveaway. Everything I did was donated so time was the key to producing a good set of documents and supplying the TV station a rendering and a animation. It was important that the client would know exactly what to expect and how to proceed with cost, labor and moving forward with getting the home under construction. The build took 92 days. I have several photos of the interior if anyone wants me to upload them.

I am registered user of AutoCAD Architecture, Revit, 3dsmax design, Chief Architect and found that I know that Datacad could get me to the end of this project faster, cleaner, and more precise than all of the programs listed. Lumion put the finishing touches to the project by allowing me to produce full renderings in under 1 minute (yep) and full HD animation in 15 minutes. The animation had to be quick because its on TV and just part of the 30 second commercial spot.

Here is the video
http://vimeo.com/55898366

So, in short there are a ton of options out there, there are some key questions you will need to ask yourself and your staff of what you want and what the client is expecting.

I hope this helps

Chris
#60877 by melina
Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:25 pm
I've been test driving numerous 3d rendering/modeling programs the past couple of months, looking for something that will enclosed interiors, which our o2c doesn't do, and to have really good photorealistic renderings. Here is where I am right now...

Kerkythea is free, but it doesn't seem to be supported anymore and I had trouble installing it.

Blender is also free, but a bear to learn since it seems to address anything and everything for modeling, animation, and rendering. Accepts 3ds.

Cinema4d has some translation issues from Dcad and it isn't cheap (upper $2K), and you have to recreate your materials etc, but it has great options for working with that. Accepts 3ds & dwg.

Lumion is very simplistic, so much so that it was actually hard to work with.

TheaRender I haven't had a chance to play with much yet, but it seems to have some promise - manipulates the model, materials & lights, and does high quality rendering. Only accepts 3ds. The rendering process can overheat the cpu.

Sketchup has the ability to do nice interior walk-throughs (and the other things mentioned) and Dcad can save directly to the skp format and really well. Recently, ArtVPS came out with Shaderlight for Sketchup to do photorealistic rendering, but the demo won't allow interior or high resolution rendering. Since that is what I am looking for, I will be skipping that program.

Indigo Renderer does great rendering and currently my favorite, but it is only a rendering program though at a reasonable cost. You will need a program that Indigo can work as a plug-in from such as Blender, Cinema4d, Sketchup (you can see how I got started with this process), and some others. It would be great to figure out how to write an Indigo plug-in for Dcad so that you could render straight from perspective view (hint hint Dcad gurus). It too overheats the cpu.

The hardest part of this is figuring out what format Dcad can export that something else can import well. I'm probably going to go with Sketchup & Indigo Renderer (and a new super cpu cooling fan).
#60910 by melina
Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:12 am
Podium does look good - I'll have to try it when I can get back to that fun.
Thanks for the suggestion!
#60947 by Robert Scott
Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:51 am
We use DataCAD and Sketchup. Models are rendered in Thea Render and Photoshop.
Just one example below. Other sets can be view on our Flickr site:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/scottresid ... 434854316/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/scottresid ... 360301160/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/scottresid ... 485780233/

Robert

For Hire ;)
Attachments
OWF-front1-FINAL.revised2.jpg
OWF-front1-FINAL.revised2.jpg (254.96 KiB) Viewed 28337 times
#61129 by E_maust
Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:31 am
We ended up buying Thea, which I'm impressed with so far. Robert, nice renderings! Do you use the Sketchup plugin, or import the models into Thea?
#61133 by Robert Scott
Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:16 am
E_maust wrote:We ended up buying Thea, which I'm impressed with so far. Robert, nice renderings! Do you use the Sketchup plugin, or import the models into Thea?

Thanks!

We use both the SU plugin and the direct import to Thea Studio depending on what phase of the rendering we are working on.

Robert
#61134 by melina
Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:06 pm
Must be catching...in the end, I ended up buying Thea over Indigo after all. Besides price, the one big deciding factor was customer support. After a month, Indigo never returned an answer to a question. Thea Render was "Yanni on the spot" with help. Have you seen the forum?? Their company reminds me a lot of DCAD in demeanor, so that made it easy too.

Oh yeah, and the renderings are awesome too. :D
#61137 by Robert Scott
Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:33 pm
Mark F. Madura wrote:Robert,

Are you transferring files from DataCAD directly to Thea Studio via 3DS or only via SketchUp?

MFM

I have done both but my normal workflow is 2D DataCAD to Sketchup via. DWG. I then work in Thea for Sketchup in the early stages ...opening up the file in Thea Studio as we get further down the line. Keep in mind this work flow works well for me as I have an partner that has an impressive new rig set up to take advantage of Thea Presto.

Robert