Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#61284 by stephen11962
Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:16 am
All of a sudden the wheel snap button stopped working. This is a MS very simple wired mouse. The scrolling feature of the mouse works, in DataCad and other programs. I checked the snapping choices in DataCad and nothing has changed there. I have exited out of DataCad and reopened the program with no change in behavior. Tried to search the forum and could not find any reference to non-Logitech-Setpoint software.

Any suggestions?
#61289 by Mark Toce
Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:50 pm
stephen11962 wrote:All of a sudden the wheel snap button stopped working. This is a MS very simple wired mouse. The scrolling feature of the mouse works, in DataCad and other programs. I checked the snapping choices in DataCad and nothing has changed there. I have exited out of DataCad and reopened the program with no change in behavior. Tried to search the forum and could not find any reference to non-Logitech-Setpoint software.

Any suggestions?

If you use the [n] key on the keyboard to snap to something instead of the middle mouse button, does that work? This will tell us whether the malfunction is in the program or in the mouse.
#61291 by stephen11962
Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:32 pm
I abbreviated a little too much. This mouse problem occurred after other keyboard/mouse problems. I went back to a basic keyboard and basic MS 3 button mouse with wheel. This setup worked and then did not. That prompted me to post the question. (The [n] button works, so I assume DataCad is not the cause of the grief.)

In an effort to bypass the problem I reconnected my Logitech wireless mouse which now works according to all the rules of the universe. (It now appears that my earlier hardware problem was an aging Gateway (Anykey) 2000 keyboard, and not the mouse.) I am running that mouse without Logitech's software so that a lot of the buttons do not function. (History: Logitech sent me this "gaming mouse" when a lesser Logitech mouse's wheel snapping function performed badly.)

I want to retract my question about the snapping question. I still do not know why it stopped working but I have wasted so much time trying to chase down explanations and solutions that I am content to accept ignorance and get on with life.

Thanks everyone.

Stephen
#61294 by Neil Blanchard
Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:50 am
Hi Stephen,

The most likely cause is the mouse button itself has stopped working, or possibly the driver is corrupted. If you have both the Microsoft and the Logitech driver at the same time, it could be a driver conflict. But I tend to suspect the button itself.

My current favorite mouse is the Logitech M705 - the wheel is pretty robust and it can be switched between smooth "flywheel" scrolling to ratcheted which makes it better for snapping, in my opinion. It is wireless and the battery lasts for months, and can be rechargable AA's.