Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#61390 by Clayton Taylor
Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:17 am
To all,

On importing a DWG file, one or two symbols I see do not import or I just can't find them, I exploded the file as well, but still no show. I also did an area z-base/height to zero.
I then checked the file with a free DWG viewer & the missing symbols appear o.k; so they do exist.

I can't think of anything else to try, :? so further assistance will be most appreciated.

Over & out,

Clayton
#61391 by Roger D
Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:49 am
Do a select by area and see if anything appears.
Do a change color and cover the area you think it should be since it's color may import to your background color.
just a couple thoughts.
It could also be an acad 3rd party object that does not import.
#61392 by Clayton Taylor
Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:24 am
Hi Rodger,

I've just tried that one, no go I'm afraid.
It's odd though you can see it on a free DWG viewer.
I've given up on this one for the moment, but thanks for your help.

The missing symbol is the external thermal break sill/threshold detail that sits on the timber kerb, the internal part shows up, but not the external part..!!! on the section. Anyone can download this symbol from their website & see if it can be cracked. Failing that, the website is quite interesting if your looking for details on lantern lights etc. See link below.

http://www.howellsglazing.co.uk/display ... spx?id=142

Over & out,
Clayton.

Roger D wrote:Do a select by area and see if anything appears.
Do a change color and cover the area you think it should be since it's color may import to your background color.
just a couple thoughts.
It could also be an acad 3rd party object that does not import.
#61393 by MtnArch
Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:38 am
Hi Clayton -

It looks like whoever created it made it a "Region" (or some other Acad type of happy-whooey). I've opened it in BricsCad, exploded things, opened it in Dcad V15 and it imported correctly. I've got an AEC file for you - PM me with your e-mail address and I'll send it over.
#61394 by Clayton Taylor
Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:46 am
Hi Roger,

You've just got me thinking, (I can't see wood for trees.. :oops:) I too have another CAD program, SPIRIT PRO-2012, but have been way too busy to even get stuck in with leaning the darn thing, let alone real projects... :roll:

Anyway I imported the file into SPIRIT & all came in OK, just like your BRICSCAD. I then exported out to DWG with some editing file downsizing, then imported back into DATACAD, all symbols & entities show up O.K.

Given we both have tried two other CAD programs & all seems O.K; I'm wondering if DataCAD is a little behind with their DWG-Import engine.. :?:

Perhaps this experience is telling me to spend some time learning SPIRIT, however I just can't seem to find any spare time this year, oh well, back to work.

Thanks for the offer by the way, very generous.

Over & out,
Clayton.

MtnArch wrote:Hi Clayton -

It looks like whoever created it made it a "Region" (or some other Acad type of happy-whooey). I've opened it in BricsCad, exploded things, opened it in Dcad V15 and it imported correctly. I've got an AEC file for you - PM me with your e-mail address and I'll send it over.
#61396 by MtnArch
Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:04 am
Hi Clayton -

It's Alan ... not Roger!!

I know that DC LLC has been looking at Acad importer so they may not be too far away from updating (probably with DC 16?). The header of the Howell's DWG identifies it as AC18 - but I'm not sure what that equates to in Acad versions (ie. 2013? 2007?).

Glad I was able to help - even if it was to jiggle the ol' grey matter to try another way of importing!
#61398 by Clayton Taylor
Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:21 pm
Hi all,

Apologies Alan & Roger for the name mix up, :oops: I must book that appointment with the opticians..... :o.......heck, I need a day off to rest the old eye-balls, getting square eyed for sure.

Over & out,
Clayton.

MtnArch wrote:Hi Clayton -

It's Alan ... not Roger!!

I know that DC LLC has been looking at Acad importer so they may not be too far away from updating (probably with DC 16?). The header of the Howell's DWG identifies it as AC18 - but I'm not sure what that equates to in Acad versions (ie. 2013? 2007?).

Glad I was able to help - even if it was to jiggle the ol' grey matter to try another way of importing!