Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#61641 by wvar
Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:14 pm
I have always used Plane Snap to orient the mode so that I can draw correctly positioned items in 3D. However, I find that sometimes after using Plane Snap the cursor snaps to a point off the screen when I snap to a point. I cannot figure out why this happens. So I tried Edit Plane and now the cursor snaps to where I want it to. I then tried Get Construction Plane, which also works. However the bottom of the model is now displayed at the top of the screen.

So I suppose that I have 3 questions here.
1. Why is it that the cursor sometimes snaps off the screen when using Plane Snap?
2. Why is it that Get Construction Plan flips the model upside down? and
3. When should I use Plane Snap,Edit Plane or Get Construction Plane in lieu of one of the other two orienting commands?

:?
#61652 by Mark Toce
Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:25 am
wvar wrote:I have always used Plane Snap to orient the mode so that I can draw correctly positioned items in 3D. However, I find that sometimes after using Plane Snap the cursor snaps to a point off the screen when I snap to a point. I cannot figure out why this happens. So I tried Edit Plane and now the cursor snaps to where I want it to. I then tried Get Construction Plane, which also works. However the bottom of the model is now displayed at the top of the screen.

So I suppose that I have 3 questions here.
1. Why is it that the cursor sometimes snaps off the screen when using Plane Snap?
2. Why is it that Get Construction Plan flips the model upside down? and
3. When should I use Plane Snap,Edit Plane or Get Construction Plane in lieu of one of the other two orienting commands?

:?

1. I haven't seen this happpen before, so I'm not sure what it could be.
2. I think it depends upon the order in which you select the points, clockwise versus counter-clockwise.
3. They are three different ways to set the zero plane -- by selecting three points on the plane, by selecting a point and then a direction of the plane, or by selecting an existing entity's plane. The section "The Zero Plane" beginning on page 428 of the Refeerence Manual PDF has more information.
#61654 by wvar
Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:52 pm
Yep in this case I read the manual carefully. Plane snaping was clockwise starting from bottom right. The objects that I was snapping to were imported from a Vectorworks file converted to dwg. Does that make a difference?
#61679 by Mark Toce
Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:17 am
wvar wrote:Yep in this case I read the manual carefully. Plane snaping was clockwise starting from bottom right. The objects that I was snapping to were imported from a Vectorworks file converted to dwg. Does that make a difference?

It shouldn't. What is the object that you were snapping to?