Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#61809 by Neil Blanchard
Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:12 am
When I use a switch symbol that is an S with a line, and the S is regular text with a Center/Middle alignment, and I rotate the symbol, two orientations are correct, but the other two are not. See the four in the middle:
The symbol at the 12 o'clock position is the "original" orientation. The one at 9 o'clock is fine, but the 3 and 6 o'clock orientations have the S shifted too much.
#61810 by MtnArch
Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:42 am
I've seen this too, but I always attributed it to my using a "hand" font instead of a more basic computer font. I've never tried it with a basic font.
#61811 by joshhuggins
Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:34 pm
We ended up swapping some of our ARCWY2GP SHX fonts with their TTF counterparts in some of our symbols like keynotes where there is usually 2-3 characters. They work 98% better. A few still will get a bit off center depending on the number, but nothing unbearable until you get 4 or more characters. For those that still won't play nice, like switches with a single character we ended up just making a pair of symbols. I think it's just something we will have to live with for these fonts. I haven't tried using a different monospaced TTF font, but that might work. Would be awesome if something could be worked out though. Maybe creating monospaced versions of the Datacad fonts hmmmm. Might have to look into this a bit more......
switch.JPG
switch.JPG (27.41 KiB) Viewed 14118 times
#61816 by Roger D
Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:29 pm
I used to have a symbol saved for every direction, but now with Dynamic Flip Flop Rotate, I found that by changing to ArchD font, and having the text aligned centered (top/bottom, and side/side) I only need 1 Door Number Symbol and can place in any direction and still have the text look correct.
#61833 by Mark Toce
Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:40 pm
Neil Blanchard wrote:When I turn off Fix Text on the symbol, the S looks a lot better, and it will work that way.

Where is the Fix Text toggle for a symbol set? Is it a "sticky" setting, so that once I turn it off, it will stay off for all subsequent symbols?

After you pick a symbol to insert, DataCAD displays the "Ins Symbol" menu on the menu bar. The "Fix Text" setting is on the [S3] menu button. Once you toggle it off, it remains off for future symbols that you insert. This is a drawing-level setting.
#61834 by jimgoodman
Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:02 pm
Mark Toce wrote:
Neil Blanchard wrote:When I turn off Fix Text on the symbol, the S looks a lot better, and it will work that way.

Where is the Fix Text toggle for a symbol set? Is it a "sticky" setting, so that once I turn it off, it will stay off for all subsequent symbols?

After you pick a symbol to insert, DataCAD displays the "Ins Symbol" menu on the menu bar. The "Fix Text" setting is on the [S3] menu button. Once you toggle it off, it remains off for future symbols that you insert. This is a drawing-level setting.

For those of us who forget to set Fix Text before symbols are inserted, this can be changed via the "Change, More" menu as well. This feature has saved my bacon more than a few times!!!!