Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#61973 by Neil Blanchard
Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:43 pm
Hi,

In the latest version of v15, is there a setting/toggle/INI edit to get a GTV to automatically control the layers that are shown in an XRef? I thought this was the default.

Also, the trouble we've had in the past with this feature, is that if someone opens the drawing in an older version of DataCAD (that may or may not support this feature?) all the GTV's that use the single XRef -- all get switched to a single set of layers. Which is a bit of a nightmare to fix.

Can someone enlighten me as to the state of this feature? We cannot use this until it works smoothly, and unfortunately, once bitten twice shy!
#61976 by joshhuggins
Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:24 pm
I thought there was an INI line to completely disable it but I can't find a reference to it. I think it's just done per xref now via the ref manager's GTV radio buttons. As for sending to older versions, can't speak to that but I think it was supported as far back as version v14. We are just getting ready to implement it now on v.16 for our office, but as far as I recall it was working as expected when I last tested it.
#61977 by David A. Giesselman
Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:51 pm
Josh is correct, the GTV Link is now on a per-XRef basis. It is controlled either via the XRef Manager or the XRef Tools context menu. Its default is Off. As for saving back to previous versions: If the previous version didn't support it, it's not guaranteed to make the round-trip. There's really no way for me to make new features backwards-compatible without issuing updates to historical versions, and that just ain't gonna happen.

[rant]Why is someone attempting to open your drawing in an "older" version? IMHO, we price our updates such that keeping current should be a no-brainer. The cost of an upgrade is less than the cost of a cup of coffee/day. The cost of a Subscription is even less! Come-on, even us lowly programmers have to eat.[/rant]

GTVLink1.JPG
GTVLink1.JPG (69.41 KiB) Viewed 13591 times

GTVLink2.JPG
GTVLink2.JPG (304.81 KiB) Viewed 13591 times

Dave
#61979 by wvar
Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:47 pm
David A. Giesselman wrote:Josh is correct, the GTV Link is now on a per-XRef basis. It is controlled either via the XRef Manager or the XRef Tools context menu. Its default is Off. As for saving back to previous versions: If the previous version didn't support it, it's not guaranteed to make the round-trip. There's really no way for me to make new features backwards-compatible without issuing updates to historical versions, and that just ain't gonna happen.

[rant]Why is someone attempting to open your drawing in an "older" version? IMHO, we price our updates such that keeping current should be a no-brainer. The cost of an upgrade is less than the cost of a cup of coffee/day. The cost of a Subscription is even less! Come-on, even us lowly programmers have to eat.[/rant]

GTVLink1.JPG

GTVLink2.JPG

Dave

Dave is right here. We need to back them. The alternatives arent much chop (believe me, I have been there) in terms of bang for buck.
#61983 by Neil Blanchard
Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:14 pm
Dave,

The office I'm working in owns the SE and they own v16, but some people are cautious, and are still using v15. The trouble first arose a couple of years ago, when I was using v14 (I think?) and they owned v14 as well, but were still using v13. If it was up to me, sure, we'd all be using v16 - and we will be, soon.
#61985 by Paul Nida
Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:10 pm
Dave,
We use this feature quite a bit, and its great. My only problem with it doesn't seem to work with multilevel xrefs. Meaning an xref inside an xref. I doubt this is fixable, but on the off chance that it is, put that high on my wish list.
#61989 by jimgoodman
Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:39 am
Neil Blanchard wrote:Dave,

The office I'm working in owns the SE and they own v16, but some people are cautious, and are still using v15. The trouble first arose a couple of years ago, when I was using v14 (I think?) and they owned v14 as well, but were still using v13. If it was up to me, sure, we'd all be using v16 - and we will be, soon.

If I am not mistaken, the final version of 15 has the same features and capabilities as the initial version of 16.