Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#62178 by arizonasand
Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:09 pm
I am designing a straw bale home with aprox 24" deep walls. I am inserting a window and wish the window to be located say 3" from the outside face of the wall. This will create a nice interior window sill. I cant seem to be able to get the sash located in this position. I can do it so I have a deep ledge on the outside of the wall but not the inside. How can this be achieved?

Thanks
PJ :?
#62192 by Nick Pyner
Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:33 pm
I think you are referring to the standard window system under A for architect, about which I was going to have a gripe some years ago but never got round to it, and for the same reason.

The problem is that it puts the glass in the centre of the wall, and you cannot use minus entries for the sill dimensions. In short, a very notional window, which is not unreasonable but shows its shortcomings in a wall like this.

The simplest solution is to draw what you want, complete with either an appropriately located associated dimension or witness bars for subsequent auto dimensioning, copy to the locations required, and stretch therein as needed. You probably don't even need to cut the walls.

If you anticipate more work like this, you could file away these prototypes as symbols. On reflection, I think it is better to make a symbol of the first, with the insertion point on the wall line, and use that for the rest. This will allow you to rotate the window on opposite walls.

I don't think AEC modeller will deliver either and, even if it can, it probably isn't worth the effort. I did use it, but only to have a slightly tarted-up version of the A-for-architect stuff.