Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.

Do you use T for Template?

34%
66%
#5041 by Heinrich
Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:36 am
Philip Hart wrote:With the new database, it does seen that it might be possible to allow for user customizable interrupts. I think that it would have to be something a bit more user-friendly than editing an ascii file - perhaps a form listing all of the possible options with boxes that could be filled in by the user with the desired keystroke. This would need to have some error-checking capabilities to assure that there is no duplication of interrupts, etc.

Get out of my head man!
Seriously though, with all the customization that DCAD already has available (alt keys, macros and so on), surely a fully customizable keyboard is possible. V12 maybe?

Untill then, I'm waiting on this. :D

-Redd
#5042 by Steve Baldwin
Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:45 am
Hi Robert.

ROBERT PENN wrote:I have always used templates and symbols. I suppose I now just use it out of habit. I tried to use the symbol browser and just couldn't get used to it. I invested a lot of time when I started with datacad (5) to understand how the templates and symbols work and now know it intimately, I guess it's using what you are comfortable with, so my vote is to keep the T hotkey.

I also had an extensive library of templates and symbols (and an extensive filing structure to go along with it), also took the time to learn how it all works so that I wouldn't have problems with it, and knew it intimately. It seemed that when others got lost, I never did. I was also skeptical about making the change, for fear of losing the library structure that I spent years building. I am now **VERY** happy that I took the time to do a bit of conversion in order to abandon the templates and the extra time it took to manage them, that is NOT required when using the symbol browser method. I now have the same folder structure for the symbols that I did have with the templates (which means that navigating to your symbol locations work exactly the same), but now managing everything is **WAY** more easier!!!

I guarantee that if you make the jump, it will be one of those things that you'll wish you did sooner.

If you need some additional info on converting your templates to symbols, here is a link to a previous post of mine on the subject... http://www.datacad.com/bbs/viewtopic.ph ... ight=#1760
#5148 by Steve Scott
Fri Aug 12, 2005 5:43 pm
Dick,
I use both templates and the symbol browser. The symbol browser is set to template, however. Since the template defaults are located on a different server than our job files, I use the symbol browser for defaults and template for job specific symbols to avoid navigating the entire vertical scale of the Windows tree just to switch templates.

So, my vote would be to keep it the way it is. Is alt-T so difficult to type in?
#5239 by ticomccr
Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:12 pm
I still use the templates because I can't see going through all of the symbol files and renaming them so that they display in the order that I want them too.

I have thousands of sybols that I have accumulated over the last 11 years, and I just don't think that it is worth the time. I have become very use to seeing the symbols in a certain order, and when I tried using the symbol browser, it slowed me way down.

I keep thinking that when I don't feel the need for DC+ anymore (that would require DC11 parametrics for me), I may make the plunge. But since I use both DC11 and DC+ on a daily basis, it just doesn't seem worth it to me.

So for my money, I still want the "T".

That's my $0.2.

Tico McCready