Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#62878 by CADwk
Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:59 pm
Hello DataCAD Experts,

I am new to DataCAD and an trying my best to become proficient. I have a quick question regarding scaled objects in my drawing. I am currently working on a drawing that contains some objects that were drawn in both 1/8" and also 1/4". How can I convert or change the group of objects that were drawn in 1/8" into 1/4" so that all of the objects in the drawing will be the same scale? Would I use the enlarge function? If so how would I go about using it. I am using DataCAD version 12.

Thanks in advance for all your help,

Sincerely,

CADwk :roll:
#62879 by ORWoody
Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:41 pm
It sounds as if you may be used to working with a CAD program that uses scaling somewhat differently than most of us do with DataCAD. Normally, we try to draw everything to full scale. In the event that something is needed for printing at a different scale (which in reality is everything), that view is scaled, not the original linework. This may sound strange, but in reality, makes good sense because the linework always remains full scale. For example: I draw a floor plan at full scale, but want to print it at 1/4" = 1'. Then, I decide to put a foundation plan and a roof framing plan on to that same sheet and I want them to print out at 1/8" = 1'.
I would bring in two (in version 12) SelfRefs and place them on their own special layer. The relationship of 1/4" and 1/18" is simply .5. So, you would leave the floor plan exactly as it was/is and scale (Enlarge in DataCAD speak) the two SelfRefs by .5. Exactly like you mentioned.
The good part about this is that if your floor plan and your roof framing plan and your foundation plan are all overlaid on separate layers, when you make any change to the original linework, the SelfRefs update precisely. The control is based on GoToViews.
Once you have experimented with GoToViews and SelfRefs a bit, you may find that they are the best thing since sliced bread. If you notice, I mentioned that the SelfRefs would be placed on their own layer. The reason for that is so that you can turn them on and off as needed and not affect other drawings that you might want to print based on the floor plan. Make another layer work for the text/dimensions involved.
Dimensions will involve a different process than you might be used to using.
Please feel free to contact me directly at orwoody@gmail.com when you need any quick response to a particular question. When you are making progress and hit a little sticking point, every minute spent waiting seems like forever. I know. I have been there. The best part is that most of the answers will be so simple that you will wonder how you didn't see it right off.
Have fun using DataCAD,
Woody
#62880 by ORWoody
Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:03 pm
I see that I didn't really answer your question.
You are correct in that you would use the enlarge function. Depending upon which you wanted to be the "real scale" you would either enlarge one by .5 or the other by 2. All you are trying to do is make them both be the same scale.
That said, be aware that you want everything to be full scale when ever possible. Then you use the print scale function to control the output.
Use the Identify command (I) and pick something that you are certain should be of a certain size. An example would be a front door that is probably 3' wide. Check that. If neither one of the drawings has a front door that fits that, some odd scaling may be in play. If it is a residence, the tub space for a normal tub is 5'. Check that. Again, the same thing as for the door is to be considered.
My guess is that if the firm is using 12, then they have already been drawing full scale and it will only be a matter of you switching into the thought process of everything being full scale.

Now, this may be something that you already know, but I'll plug it in just so that we don't miss it.
DataCAD wants to know what you want to do. Once you are in the command, that is when you make your selection of entities and objects to be processed. Autocad and other programs have you identify what is to be affected and then the operator invokes the action command. It is part of the reason that an ACAD user's thumb becomes the fastest body part that they have. They keep returning to a command to work on a couple of more somethings. In DataCAD, you will stay in the command until you consciously decide to leave it. That means that you can pick four or five items and then if you see that you needed some others. You just pick them then. You'll still be in the command.

Remember... most all of the answers that you need are only a few internet moments away here at the forum or through direct contact. Don't let them get you down. Another good thing is that DataCAD truly is the simplest to use Architectural package out there. All of them are different in some little command syntax and stuff, but the others require far more work to use than does DataCAD.
Have fun,
Woody