Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#63455 by mfmanuel
Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:39 pm
I recently upgraded my machine to windows 8 and I am having trouble installing DataCad 10. It is giving me the message missing HLVDD.DLL. I tried updating the drivers from the site but to no avail. I also installed the update for version 10. I read some of the other forums and tried reinstalling it in my 'program files' directory but still no luck.
Any suggestions?
(PS I really like version 10 and do not want to upgrade)
#63460 by MtnArch
Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:54 pm
I think you may have to download a more current dongle driver - but I'm not certain.

I have to say, if you like V10 that much you'll LOVE V16 even more - plus you'll be supporting your favorite cadd program so that they can continue to provide an incredible piece of software! Just think about where you'd be if (heaven forbid!) they hadn't been able to continue on - you'd be purchasing a new program, learning how to use IT, and might not be able to port your legacy files to the "new" program.
#63471 by Paul Nida
Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:53 pm
I have run DataCAD 14, 15 and 16 under Windows 8.1 with few, if any, problems. Honestly the only problem I can think of is the automatic update doesn't seem to work under Windows 8 and 8.1 and you have to download the updates and install them manually. But none of those versions of DataCAD use a hardlock, so I would assume that there is a problem with the hardlock in Windows 8. And since DataCAD no longer uses a hardlock I don't really see anybody upgrading the hardlock driver. So you may just be SOL trying to run earlier versions in Windows 8. Honestly, I have no desire to find out.
#63472 by Paul Nida
Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:56 pm
BTW, if you are happy running old programs like DataCAD 10, why are you bothering to upgrade to Windows 8 anyway. Rhetorical question, I don't expect or need an answer.
#63476 by joshhuggins
Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:15 pm
Paul Nida wrote:why are you bothering to upgrade to Windows 8 anyway. Rhetorical question, I don't expect or need an answer.
I would guess it's because XP support is about to die in April, or their previous system croaked and win 7 systems are getting harder to find at the big box stores.
#63516 by mfmanuel
Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:23 am
Thanks to all who posted a reply. It appears that my fears are true, no updated drivers for windows 8 with old programs. Windows XP support is almost extinct. I got a nice new fast machine that came with windows 8. I could install XP on it but that seems silly. I guess it comes down to the fact that I am cheap. I don't want to spend money on a new version of DataCad when version 10 does everything I need it to. Just being honest...
#63520 by Neil Blanchard
Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:30 pm
The one thing you may be forgetting about - is the support you get from DataCAD, since you bought v10. This very Forum, and all of us who make our living using DataCAD, would not be here if nobody supported the continued efforts of the people who are DataCAD.
#63526 by David A. Giesselman
Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:27 pm
mfmanuel wrote:... I got a nice new fast machine that came with windows 8.
But ...
mfmanuel then wrote:... I don't want to spend money on a new version of DataCad when version 10 does everything I need it to. Just being honest...

#63561 by RVELAS2000
Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:57 am
I run Datacad using Windows XP. I looked at Windows 8 and am going to upgrade, the issue I am encountering is my HP Designjet 430 does not have any printer drivers compatible with Windows 8. Anyone have any suggestions other than replacing my "just like new plotter"? :roll:
#63562 by wolverine
Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:45 am
RVELAS2000 wrote:I run Datacad using Windows XP. I looked at Windows 8 and am going to upgrade, the issue I am encountering is my HP Designjet 430 does not have any printer drivers compatible with Windows 8. Anyone have any suggestions other than replacing my "just like new plotter"? :roll:

I've heard others have had success installing a PCI express parallel card and using the old style printer cable. Seems Windows 8 will then recognize the printer (letting Windows 8 install the drivers).
#63563 by MtnArch
Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:57 am
I had a 450C plotter that HP chose not to include drivers for in Win7. At one time I was able to 'trick' Windoze by actually installing a 1050C driver (that HP did make a Win7 driver for) and then mapping the driver to the 450C. Eventually I found a newer Canon iPF plotter that I replaced my 450C with, which solved all problems - but you might try the driver "swap" and see if it works.

Win 8 - I have no clue about. Ain't goin' that route unless I'm dragged kicking and screaming into it.

Good luck!
#63565 by joshhuggins
Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:26 pm
At some point Microsoft added a bunch of HP drivers to their Windows Update in the driver select dialog in Windows 7. Might try using that to update the driver list if you haven't in a while. It takes several minutes to update the list. Image

Also, checking HP's website they have Vista drivers for the 430 which should work with Windows 8 I would think.

Another thing to always try is HP's universal print driver. It often can talk to older hardware to at least get things printing.
http://h20331.www2.hp.com/hpsub/cache/3 ... itle_r0001
Last edited by joshhuggins on Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
#63721 by lark
Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:48 am
Kind of the same boat. I've been using dcad since 1986. Stopped upgrading at v10 as it was just what we needed. Two months ago I was still using it and then MS dropped XP. I suspect that the problem is win 8. I talked to my computers guys and they suggested win7 or win 8: not only easier to install, but also more robust and more like XP. 7 was built as a professional product and 8 a consumer product (with that "simple" interface).
That said, dcad 10 won't load in 7 either. I did find that 7 has a little known XP Mode - you have to download it. It runs in a window (can be full screen) and was made to provide a transition for legacy programs. I don't know if win 8 has that option. I also don't know if dcad will run of windows 7 XP Mode as I spent half of yesterday trying to download it. MS says they no longer provide free support on 7 - $99 for Pro Support - Bull! I will be at it again this morning and will let you know.
I also am put off by those who say "support dcad and upgrade, you'll love 16". Sorry, but some of us really don't want, need of often can afford upgrading, and we could use a little respect. I've been using the trial version of 16 to keep a small project working and, though it may be whiz/bang, it's way more than I'll ever need. I don't use all the functionality of 10 - and it took me hours to get to where I could draw a line. Yes it has a learning curve and it's "useable" now - but I'm an old dog, I don't need new tricks.