Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#64440 by Clayton Taylor
Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:26 am
To all,

Is it possible to have irregular shaped Self-X-refs like you can have with plain X-ref's...?
Also once you've used a clipped cube for a Self-X-ref or plain X-ref is that clip-cube set in stone, i.e. is there any way to edit it's size/shape or even move it around to another position to have the same clip cube view out the updated clip-cube..??

I've been meaning to ask this for ages, but I think it is set in stone & you just have to create another clipped cube, not too sure why though..??

Over & out,
Clayton.
#64443 by Mark Toce
Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:22 am
Clayton Taylor wrote:To all,

Is it possible to have irregular shaped Self-X-refs like you can have with plain X-ref's...?
Also once you've used a clipped cube for a Self-X-ref or plain X-ref is that clip-cube set in stone, i.e. is there any way to edit it's size/shape or even move it around to another position to have the same clip cube view out the updated clip-cube..??

I've been meaning to ask this for ages, but I think it is set in stone & you just have to create another clipped cube, not too sure why though..??

Over & out,
Clayton.

You can define an irregular XClip boundary on a self-XREF, and you can also edit the existing boundary once it has been created.

After you insert the self-XREF, [Ctrl]+[right-click] on it and then pick "XClip" from the "XREF Tools" section of the context menu. On the side menu, choose "New Cube," and then toggle "Polyline" on. You may now define an irregular shape for the clipping boundary. Right-click when finished, and then togle "Clip On" on.

To edit the boundary, you'll [Ctrl]+[right-click] on the XREF, and choose "XClip" from the "XREF Tools" section again. Click the "Edit" button on the side menu, and then use the polyline editing tools to adjust the boundary. Right-click when finished.
#64444 by Clayton Taylor
Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:13 am
Hi Mark,

I never knew about this hidden control right click menu, quite surprised when it popped up, now feeling quite dumb for not knowing about it sooner. :oops:
Can this menu be found anywhere else, or is it just controlled with the keyboard... :?:

Thanks for that, feels like I've just had a DataCAD upgrade, are there anymore hidden menus just controlled by the keyboard... :?:

Over & out,
Clayton.
#64446 by Mark Toce
Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:59 am
Clayton Taylor wrote:Hi Mark,

I never knew about this hidden control right click menu, quite surprised when it popped up, now feeling quite dumb for not knowing about it sooner. :oops:
Can this menu be found anywhere else, or is it just controlled with the keyboard... :?:

Thanks for that, feels like I've just had a DataCAD upgrade, are there anymore hidden menus just controlled by the keyboard... :?:

Over & out,
Clayton.

Some, but not all, of the options in the [Ctrl]+[right-click] menu can be found elsewhere. In the case of the XClip options, you could also go to the 3D Views menu, choose Clip Cube, pick XREF Clip, and then click on the XREF (or self-XREF) in the drawing area to access this same menu.

Other options, for example selecting "Properties" to open the Entity Properties Editor, can only be accessed via the [Ctrl]+[right-click] context menu.

You can [Ctrl]+[right-click] on any entity in your drawing to get a conext menu with options that are specific to the type of entity you selected. It's a very powerful feature!
#64449 by David A. Giesselman
Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:19 pm
You can also perform a [Ctrl]+[Right-click] on a blank area of the drawing for this context menu.
context.JPG
context.JPG (8.42 KiB) Viewed 9479 times

Dave
#64450 by Paul Nida
Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:27 pm
We can do irregular clip cubes and edit them on xrefs and symbols, but to the best of my knowledge we can't do irregular clip cubes or edit regular clip cubes. Can we get this added? Please let me know if this can be done now and I've missed it some how.
#64453 by Mark Toce
Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:01 pm
Paul Nida wrote:We can do irregular clip cubes and edit them on xrefs and symbols, but to the best of my knowledge we can't do irregular clip cubes or edit regular clip cubes. Can we get this added? Please let me know if this can be done now and I've missed it some how.

Sorry, Paul. DataCAD does not currently support irregular-shaped drawing-level Clip Cubes. It's on the wishlist.