Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#64502 by GARY247
Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:55 pm
Has anyone been dumped out of the software and not had a auto save in the temporary file? This has happened for the second time on one particular computer in our office and I was wondering if anyone had this happen and what they did to solve it.
#64503 by joshhuggins
Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:56 pm
Do you mean there was no .$WP file? The auto recovery files should be created in the same directory as the .AEC file.
#64504 by Paul Nida
Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:59 pm
This isn't exactly the same thing, but I had an interesting one happen Tuesday / Wednesday. On Tuesday afternoon I was working on a small file that I had been working on for several hours. We were having a problem plotting another file which is very large, complex and slow. So I hit save on the small file but didn't close it. I then opened the large file to try to fix a problem with it and I managed to get it to plot correctly. But when I closed and saved that file it locked up and crashed DCAD. I re-opened the large file and made the necessary fixes in it and saved it, then closed and aborted the file. It was late in the day by this time so since I had saved the small file before opening the large file I didn't bother with reopening it. But when I came in Wednesday and went to open the small file it wasn't in the folder I had saved it to. I checked the DCAD temp directory and it was there, but when I opened it there was nothing there, it was completely empty and didn't even have the layers I had created. There were no backup files or anything else so I figured everything was lost. But as a last resort I checked the Sessions folder and the drawing was there. Strange since I had created the drawing on Tuesday hit save once and had never closed and saved it. But the good news was that I hadn't lost anything.
#64505 by MtnArch
Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:48 pm
I always do a double forced save - just in case something happens. I think Neil B. posted this a long, LONG time ago as one of his automatic safeguards in case the unthinkable (but always present) happens.
#64539 by wolverine
Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:54 pm
Ha, I habitually do the forced file saves, almost OCD about it. However, I just posted a thread in the legacy products describing a first for me. I use 13, and have always had a backup file to bail myself out. I have autosave at 15 minutes.
All I have is the file I created at the time without any changes and a .log file that was most likely created at the crash.