Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#64508 by jimgoodman
Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:48 am
For files that include self xrefs, shouldn't the reference(s) be updated when the file is saved to a new name using the save-as command form within DataCAD?

For example, I have a file name 1402s210 that include several self xrefs. If I save the file to a 1402s211, the self xrefs in the new file still point back to 1402s210 instead of being automatically updated to point to 1402s211.

In any event, I think that self-xrefs should be updated automatically when the file is saved with a new name.
#64511 by joshhuggins
Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:09 pm
They normally should. I have a few co-workers that somehow break this link, not sure if it's them coping or moving the file outside Datacad but their self xrefs always seem to get broken and become normal xrefs that point back to the file they are in. It's been a while since I've fixed this myself since they finally got the hang of it but if I remember right re-defining them back to their self seems to re-build the self xref link. Test it out by redefining the broken self xrefs back to the same file and then do a save as.
#64513 by jimgoodman
Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:39 pm
joshhuggins wrote:They normally should. I have a few co-workers that somehow break this link, not sure if it's them coping or moving the file outside Datacad but their self xrefs always seem to get broken and become normal xrefs that point back to the file they are in. It's been a while since I've fixed this myself since they finally got the hang of it but if I remember right re-defining them back to their self seems to re-build the self xref link. Test it out by redefining the broken self xrefs back to the same file and then do a save as.

Right after I posted the original message, I did a bit of testing and was able to duplicate your experience. After re-defining the self xrefs, I save the file with a new name and the references all updated. I will keep a closer watch on this over the next few days and see if I can narrow down the operation that causes the links to be broken.

The thing that was odd in the example from this morning was that some of the self references were updating and some were not. Probably back to an earlier transgression of some kind.
#64617 by ORWoody
Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:23 pm
Jim:
I did this on three different drawings today and all of them worked exactly as you desire. It went so cleanly that I went in to check in order to reassure myself that each SelfXRef wasn't using the original name file.
#64618 by jimgoodman
Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:15 pm
I think I was renaming the file manually instead of using the internal "save-as".

I supposed we could request that DataCAD be able to detect a self-xref and update the reference even when the file name is changed outside the program, but I suspect that Dave might throw a virtual punch my way.

Jim
#64619 by ORWoody
Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:14 pm
Jim:
You can almost do that right now.
Rename the file as you indicated, inside or outside of DCAD.
Open the renamed file.
SaveAs..... wait for this..... the renamed file name. It will query you as to it exists, but write over it. So select "Yes."
Done.
The SelfXRefs are all redefined to match the new name.
Life is good.
#64620 by jimgoodman
Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:52 pm
Quite clever indeed and a good solution.

Jim