Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#64952 by Clayton Taylor
Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:04 am
To all,

FILE SIZE REDUCTION WITH LOTS OF TEXT – SOLUTION Smile

Thanks to all who commented on this one. I tried various .shx fonts, most the same file size, two were double this & a similar .ttf resulted in a file size of 34mb from what I thought 9.9MB was too large ...yikes..!!!

Anyway I managed to get the exported pdf file size down from 9.977MB to 2.160MB by creating a self-xref of the construction notes layer only, then save the self-xref layer to it’s own layer name, then turn the original construction notes layer off & replace all the notes back on the plan with this self-xref version.

This is way cool & has got me thinking about plans in general when starting to get too large for e-mailing in pdf.

I’m thinking when a project is ready to export to pdf, just create a set of self-xref plans instead. It obviously works with text, so perhaps it may shrink the file size down further when doing it whole-sale.

Over & out,
Clayton.
#64957 by joshhuggins
Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:01 pm
Is the same information still being displayed on the plans? I can't figure out how using a self xref would compress the output file down. Are you using PDF layering when creating the PDF's? If so maybe there is a bunch of overhead when using PDF layering? If you are using PDF layering, try turn it off before printing and see if that helps.
#64960 by Clayton Taylor
Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:23 am
joshhuggins wrote:Is the same information still being displayed on the plans? I can't figure out how using a self xref would compress the output file down. Are you using PDF layering when creating the PDF's? If so maybe there is a bunch of overhead when using PDF layering? If you are using PDF layering, try turn it off before printing and see if that helps.

Hi Josh,

Yes, the plan displays exactly the same in pdf format as intended.
DC HQ will be able to answer this in a technical way I'm sure.
Not too sure how the referencing works, but the referenced part of the plan hardly amounts to any file size.
No layers.

Over & out,
Clayton.