Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#65251 by dmartens
Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:22 pm
I am finally diving head first into smart entites and it has been a challenge. Have read all kinds of
info from the (invaluable) forum and have gotten a good start towards being able to do a small project
with smart entities. I have pretty much got my walls and doors done and then started to do windows. I was very surprised to find that for dbl-hung windows the bottom rail and check rail can only be the
same width as the sash. And we have stops on doors but not windows? They really don't look very good when rendered in o2c. I used 3D as well as 2D symbols on all my doors as I need to keep the plans looking like they do now in our office. But creating 2D/3D symbols for all the different window sizes and lite patterns could be a career in itself.
So my question would be to all the smart entity gurus out there about how they handle creating dbl-hung smart windows that look more realistic yet cover all the miriad options.
Would also like to know from the gurus just how much of your 3D models are created using smart
entities. It seems we still do not have the ability to do gable end walls, floors, roofs or exterior
trim boards.
We are still using DC15 in our office and I am trying to use more of the power of Datacad to streamline our work and be able to do elevations and sections generated from a model. This way when the boss comes to me about upgrading our software I can honestly tell him we need to upgrade to take advantage of these items. And until Datacad has the ability to create those missing items I cannot justify upgrading to Dc17. Smart entities have been out for about 7 years now (rel 12 I believe) and I think it is time to bring them back to the forefront so we can create a truely 'smart' model. And that would be my wish. (if this was the wishlist thread)

Thank you.
#65253 by Henrique S. Badalotti
Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:44 am
Why not hove continuity intelligent entities?
Since version 12 do not see significant advances in intelligent entities. Spend to see improvements on the walls, doors and windows smart already mentioned on this forum.
I would like to see roofs, stairs, floors ... smart.
Versions 13, 14, and 15, have brought great advances in my opinion. I plan on buying the version 17. But I do not see anything that can add me in my work.
While this does not change the DataCAD any other CAD.

Henrique
#65254 by Roger D
Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:39 am
I would second that motion.
Smart roofs that also created the necessary gables, etc are long over due.
Also, expanding on Smart Door types, Rolling Grilles, Multiple doors, Double door with center frame, Multiple Windows with the same frame size (like storefronts)
#65255 by Neil Blanchard
Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:58 am
I have been hoping for Smart Floors and Roofs - we need a complete "package" of Smart entities. This will make it possible to use Smart entities on more/many/most/all our drawings.

I am not wanting a "full" BIM - what I do think will help is a 3D coordination and control of the whole building envelope. Linking the plan to the sections and elevations and vise versa is the single most important thing that CAD can do.

The spatial relationships of the major building components is what we need from Smart components - and we need Smart Floors and Smart Roofs (and then Smart Stairs) with compound walls to complete the building envelope. Then we draft over the bones of these major components to flesh out the details like we do now.
#65256 by joshhuggins
Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:57 am
Neil Blanchard wrote:I am not wanting a "full" BIM - what I do think will help is a 3D coordination and control of the whole building envelope. Linking the plan to the sections and elevations and vise versa is the single most important thing that CAD can do.

The spatial relationships of the major building components is what we need from Smart components - and we need Smart Floors and Smart Roofs (and then Smart Stairs) with compound walls to complete the building envelope. Then we draft over the bones of these major components to flesh out the details like we do now.
What he said.