Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#65397 by tigere
Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:30 am
I am trying to make a sequential process "movie" using DCAD drawings and save from O2C as bitmaps ... my problem is how do I make each O2C image the same "size" each time to avoid image "flicker" ... TIA
Roger Pingree (Tigere)
Phoenix AZ.
#65434 by DBrennfoerder
Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:22 pm
What is it that you're trying to do? Whether you want to show a variety of options (like with/without a porch, color this/color that) or if you want to do a fly around, I'd recommend Kerkythia, which is a fantastic free program. Export your DataCAD model as a .kds file and import directly into Kerkythia. For a set of variations, upload the basic first, then upload the optional adds later so they are separated out into identifiable entities that can be turned of/on at will for your various shots. For a fly around, Kerkythia is great for allowing you to move around the model and position a series of cameras. It can then automate the production of a series of images along a motion path that is interpolated from camera to camera, at your chosen speed, resolution, time. You end up with hundreds of separate images; any of several freeware programs can make the video of the fly-by for you.
#65435 by Nick Pyner
Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:35 pm
DBrennfoerder wrote:Export your DataCAD model as a .kds file and import directly into Kerkythia.

How do you do that? Does Kerky have to be installed first?
#65441 by tigere
Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:10 am
D B I apologize - I received no notice of a reply - I was here on an another matter when I noticed your post - What I am doing is taking progressive process snap shots in O2C
ie: step by step digging a footing or installing re-bar - framing a wall ...just like you would do were you working on site ... each in a sequential pattern - I then save as an BMP image -which requires several "shots" and insert them into a "movie maker" ... my problem is - if the image is not the exact same each time the image "jumps" slightly as the frame changes ... I trying to achieve a smooth transition from one image frame to the next ...
TIA
Roger Pingree
(Tigere)
#65444 by DBrennfoerder
Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:42 pm
Nick Pyner, at some time, you'll need to download and install Kerky, yes. I was mistaken on the file type. It is a 3ds, and is one of the options to export from DataCAD, and also one of the options to import into Kerky.

Roger Pingree, what you are wanting to do would be very simple with "Kerky". It's nature is to import anything of a similar color as one "entity" and is difficult to separate in Kerky. DataCAD has 256 colors, so it's pretty easy to make different elements in different colors. If you want early re-bar and later re-bar to be the identical color, just import the later ones into Kerky as a second import, addition to your model. The will remain as separate element and will be easy to leave off until you want them to show.

Kerky is very easy to use, and actually matches your DataCAD colors very well, but it is also very easy to modify the colors any time. After you import your 3ds model from DataCAD, the only thing you really have to add is at least one light. Simply maneuver the model around until what you see is the same position were you want the sun to be shining from and click the "add light" button. You can maneuver the model again and continue to add more light anywhere you want to eliminate dark spots or make shadows to help define the depth of the model. The number of lights probably affects how long it takes to render images, but speed is impressive even with several lights. I usually have a "sun", a couple on backside "fill" lights, and 2 or 3 parking lot lights. Images still render quickly.

When I'm doing my work, I place 8-12 cameras and have Kerky generate 900 images along a path that I merge into a video for a 30-second video. It sometimes takes a couple of hours for that many images. I use another freebie program to make an .avi file from the images.

What you'll be doing, Roger, is putting one camera in position, and then render your image with basic materials, then turn on additional materials, whether re-bar, sill plate, or whatever, render again, turn on more, render again, turn on more, render again, etc. The camera is fixed in place, and can always be returned to in the future, even after saving and reloading, etc. Timewise, these renders are only a few seconds. Kerky will easily do colored surfaces; with a little experimentation, you can make it render bitmaps on surfaces also, like wood grain on studs, etc.

I know your problem; you can't repeat a viewpoint in o2c like you're wanting to do. Kerky will solve that.
#65446 by tigere
Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:57 am
DB: "I know your problem; you can't repeat a viewpoint in O2C like you're wanting to do."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That is the problem precisely!! It was my thought that the positioning co-ordinate boxes in O2C if repeated (typed in) would "replicate" the previous view ... Not! Which of course led me wonder why not.

One would think that image replication would be as easy as an "repeat/recall last co-ordinates" feature.

Surely I can not be the first to have asked this question or "needed" this feature. This is not to criticize O2C - when I have an interested party at my computer it works great ! People love it ... however bouncing back and forth turning on and off layers breaks the continuity ... I was hoping create these "tutorials" as ... "pack and go" in movie format - the frame "jump" is really visible -and a distraction ... for instance: lot lay out ... 1 line vs. the same line in several increments to a desired point ... say a width of 40 feet in 5 or 8 separate images ... from 0 - 40 FT just to "animate" the process ...

I really appreciate your input DB
#65447 by Mark F. Madura
Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:26 am
Assuming the size (more-specifically, the ratio) of your Object Viewer window doesn't change, you'll need to make sure the extents of your model does not change. Create a 'common' layer and include it in all of your views. On the common layer, create a bounding box at least as big as the extents of your model, preferably a bit larger. Include a small polygon at each of the eight corners of the box. Now you can set up each view, always including the extents box layer, so that all of your images are registered properly.
#65448 by Mark F. Madura
Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:36 am
Another method you might be able to use if you set your views in DataCAD first (versus using the views within the Object Viewer interface).

Use the following entries in the [o2cViewer] section of DCADWIN.INI.

Set Model_Z_Angle to 180 to orient the model consistent with o2c's coordinate system.
(The Object Viewer's coordinate system is rotated 180 degrees about the z-axis from DataCAD's)

Set Texture_Z_Angle to 180 to rotate bitmap textures on horizontal surfaces along with the model's rotation.

[o2cViewer]
Model_Z_Angle=180
Texture_Z_Angle=180

You can load the current DataCAD perspective view when launching the Object Viewer by setting LoadDataCADView to True.
Note: “Remember Last View” must be set to FALSE, otherwise the last o2c view will be restored instead.

[o2cViewer]
LoadDataCADView=True

When TRUE, the o2c Object Viewer will open using DataCAD’s current perspective view.
When FALSE, the o2c Object Viewer opens using its standard default view.
#65449 by tigere
Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:25 pm
Mark
Thank you I suspected there was a way to allow DCad and O2C to "talk" to one another. (I saw the "whats new" section that I think you are referring to ..
a bit beyond my skill-set without a little tutoring ...)
While I have you re: ... another matter ... sometime ago I lost a hard drive and as a result you had sent me another "password" which to save my soul I can not find - either in email or documents ...if it's possible to get that I would be most grateful if I could get that "password"
Thank you
Roger Pingree
(Tigere)
#65475 by tigere
Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:29 pm
@ Mark M.

I have run into a puzzling anomaly with O2C after changing the INI files per your suggestions Marc - It occurs with only one "file"
(the objects in that file are derived from "save to layer file" from a master file) - with the 180 set as you suggested - this particular files reverses 180 degrees or upside down .. it seems to only occur with this one file - all the others seem fine ...?
Thank You
Roger Pinree
(Tigere)

@ D. Brennfoerder
I downloaded Kerkythea as a what can it hurt - (I actually have a copy of True Space from before it went "open source") -I find the concepts complicated and confusing - but have been pecking around with Kerky anyway -I took a look at their site and they have some great stuff displayed ....

If you don't mind and have the time I would like pose some questions to you about how to make the program work ...
Thank You
Roger Pingree
(Tigere)
#65480 by tigere
Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:19 pm
DB - thank you - I was thinking that as a novice and those inevitable "silly" questions might be of interest to the "board" and perhaps generate interest in the program - (trust me it will a forehead slapper for you :o) ...) but perhaps it might be of some benefit to others wanting to maximize DCAD through render machines ... so if the chat is not inconvenient ... it can be accessed at your convenience as well ... email too is a convenient option. However, the phone will be handy for the "stickier" more complicated stuff that will inevitably come up ...particularity with shading, lighting and camera techniques.
Thank you so much
Roger