Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#65570 by DCADGuru
Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:57 pm
Good evening. My harddrive died just recently and I had to replace the harddrive. Once I installed the harddrive and Installed Datacad I get a missing hlvd.dll file error message. I have installed the latest version of Datacad 13 and I have also installed the latest hardlock driver from Datacad's website. I have reinstalled all a few times but I still get the error. Any ideas? I am on Windows 8.

Interesting thing, I loaded Dcad 13 on a new laptop while my computer was down and it worked fine.

Thanks very much for taking a look.

Bob
#65576 by Roger D
Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:49 am
I had just recently did a search on the fourm for another user, and found the following:

some comments from the dcad forum

AFAIK, the hardlock is not supported by Windows 8.

I just got v11 running in Windows 8 on a new laptop.
I set the program "Compatibility" to Windows 7 and followed the "X3 Hlvdd.dll Windows 7 x64 Hardlock failiure" instructions for the hardlock workaround. Only difference was copying the new hlvdd.dll to "C:\Windows\SysWOW64" then making sure the hardlock was in a USB 2.0 port. Seems to be running fine so far.

I agree with Stuart Jackson. Install the updated driver. Then find the Hlvdd.dll file in the "c:\windows\system32" folder and copy it into the "c:\windows\SysWOW64" folder. I also copied Aladdin Hardlock Key files in the SysWow64 folder too. Then I installed DataCAD 11.

and finally from staff

You guys keep finding ways to run ancient versions of DataCAD on your new hardware with its new OS and I'll be making my retirement plans sooner than I had hoped. :?

My Final comment:
I still say, v17 is the best option, you'll be open the most recent acad files also.