Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#65944 by sjohnoz
Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:23 am
I'm currently running v14 on XP. Looking now to upgrade OS to MS 8 or 8.1 Has anyone had any issues running v14?
Steve J.
Sydney
#65954 by Nick Pyner
Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:05 am
It shouldn't be a problem at all but, since you have gone on this long with XP, you might as well stick with it until Microsoft come out with a decent operating system. Windows 10 might be a possibility. I don't know what happened to Windows 9, it might have failed on the launchpad.

Further to this and since you are running XP, be aware that you might need to replace other items. When I installed W8, I found I was up for a new scanner, new Microsoft Office, and even a new mouse. And for what? Upgrading to XP was a better option.
#65971 by sjohnoz
Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:35 pm
Hi Nick
I take your comments onboard! It was also my need to upgrade to a new computer as my old Pentium was old and tired.
I also realise that I will need to upgrade some accessories as you have done. Have you had any problems in deactivating and activating to a new computer?
Regards Steve J.
#65974 by Nick Pyner
Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:56 pm
sjohnoz wrote:Hi Nick
I take your comments onboard! It was also my need to upgrade to a new computer as my old Pentium was old and tired.
I also realise that I will need to upgrade some accessories as you have done. Have you had any problems in deactivating and activating to a new computer?

I guess a Pentium, by definition, is probably due for retirement, but that is insufficient grounds for changing the operating system. I have upgraded to XP from Vista on a laptop, and from W8 on a desktop. I have since found that my Intellimouse Explorer can be persuaded to work under W8, so I might get W10 but there is no hurry.

Activate/deactivate is not a problem and I do it whenever I go on the road. I use a separate desktop icon running a BAT file to do this. This sits in the Datacad17 folder.

dcadwin.exe/ACTAUTO "licenseID:xxxxxxxx--password:xxxxxx"
dcadwin.exe
dcadwin.exe/DEACTIVATE "yes"
Attachments
Clipboard01.jpg
Clipboard01.jpg (144.39 KiB) Viewed 16109 times
#65975 by Dave
Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:37 pm
Neil Blanchard wrote:What I have heard is they skipped Windows 9 because it is too close to 95 and 98 and the code naming was too confusing. I have heard good things about Windows 10.

Legacy software checks for windows version and a lot of it only looks for the 9 in 95 or 98 so would have broken to many systems.

Dave
#67284 by steveng
Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:24 am
I just upgraded the workstations at my office from Windows XP on a Intel Core 2 duo, to Windows 7 on an Intel I5 4640, with 16gb of RAM. The difference has been astonishing. Also when you buy a copy of Windows 7 it comes with a free upgrade to Windows 10. We will eventually switch after some of the glitches are fixed.
#68419 by Clayton Taylor
Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:03 am
Nick Pyner wrote:
sjohnoz wrote:Hi Nick

I guess a Pentium, by definition, is probably due for retirement, but that is insufficient grounds for changing the operating system. I have upgraded to XP from Vista on a laptop, and from W8 on a desktop. I have since found that my Intellimouse Explorer can be persuaded to work under W8, so I might get W10 but there is no hurry.

Activate/deactivate is not a problem and I do it whenever I go on the road. I use a separate desktop icon running a BAT file to do this. This sits in the Datacad17 folder.

dcadwin.exe/ACTAUTO "licenseID:xxxxxxxx--password:xxxxxx"
dcadwin.exe
dcadwin.exe/DEACTIVATE "yes"

To all,

Yeah, just discussed this one, DE-ACTIVATING & RE-ACTIVATING on another topic, I think there is a need for DC to look into this one, i.e. for DC HQ to provide an option in the preferences tab for it's uses to "tick" to allow "auto" DE-ACTIVATING or RE-ACTIVATING when starting & exiting DC,

Over & out,
Clayton.
#68420 by MtnArch
Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:14 am
The main pratfall I see with this, Clayton, is that if for some reason your internet connection isn't working when you try to open DC (no matter how reliable it is, there ARE glitches sometimes) you can't open the program until it can run home to mama server and verify that it's okay to start up.
#68422 by Clayton Taylor
Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:23 am
MtnArch wrote:The main pratfall I see with this, Clayton, is that if for some reason your internet connection isn't working when you try to open DC (no matter how reliable it is, there ARE glitches sometimes) you can't open the program until it can run home to mama server and verify that it's okay to start up.

The below I just cut & pasted from DC for that scenario:-

If you do not have an Internet connection, select Activate Manually. Type the License ID and Password into the appropriate fields, and then click Continue. The activation dialog will display User Code 1 and User Code 2, which you will transmit to the DATACAD LLC representative by telephone or email. The representative will then generate Activation Code numbers and transmit that information back to you. After typing it into the appropriate field, click Continue to complete the process.

However if no Internet connection, then e-mail may also be out..!!! Sometimes telephoning may also be difficult, time-zones/language etc, may be a temp SMS TXT code could be generated to let you RE-ACTIVATE it for a period of time & when it sees a connection is available, a pop-up interface could nag you to death to make a final RE-ACTIVATION protocol. Or if non of the above is doable, just let it be RE-ACTIVATED of a period of time with a known password that could be generated from the last RE-ACTIVATION or whatever.

I realise there's call to protect software to genuine users who have paid for their license etc. but equally I think it shouldn't be to heavy about it.

Over & out,
Clayton.
#68425 by joshhuggins
Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:05 pm
Clayton Taylor wrote:The below I just cut & pasted from DC for that scenario:-

If you do not have an Internet connection, select Activate Manually. Type the License ID and Password into the appropriate fields, and then click Continue. The activation dialog will display User Code 1 and User Code 2, which you will transmit to the DATACAD LLC representative by telephone or email. The representative will then generate Activation Code numbers and transmit that information back to you. After typing it into the appropriate field, click Continue to complete the process.

However if no Internet connection, then e-mail may also be out..!!! Sometimes telephoning may also be difficult, time-zones/language etc, may be a temp SMS TXT code could be generated to let you RE-ACTIVATE it for a period of time & when it sees a connection is available, a pop-up interface could nag you to death to make a final RE-ACTIVATION protocol. Or if non of the above is doable, just let it be RE-ACTIVATED of a period of time with a known password that could be generated from the last RE-ACTIVATION or whatever.

I realise there's call to protect software to genuine users who have paid for their license etc. but equally I think it shouldn't be to heavy about it.

Over & out,
Clayton.

See my other reply to your duplicate post.