Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#5392 by kapone085
Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:41 am
I AM TRYING TO SEND A FILE VIA EMAIL TO AN ARCHITECURAL RENDERING ARTIST AND THE FILE IS 3MB WHICH, I THINK, IS HUGE.
I HAVE DELETED ALL HATCH, PURGED MULTIPLE TIMES, CONCENTRATED THE ENETITY ON ONE LAYER, ERASED ALL THE LAYERS NOT NEEDED, AND CREATED A NEW FILE TO SEND WITH NO AVAIL.

PLEASE HELP!!! DEADlines NEED TO BE MET.
#5393 by TheNextStepp
Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:45 am
If you archive the file with winrar or winzip then you should be able to compress it slightly. Most email providers will accept 3mb attachments now though too. If it doesnt work let me know and I will give you some ftp space to store the files for your artist to download them at.
#5394 by Nick Pyner
Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:29 am
I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "concentrated the entity on one layer" but it sounds like a seriously bad idea - to the point where, if I was the recipient, I would lilkely send it straight back along with a tart suggestion about what to do with it.

On a more positive note, you should only send the renderer what he/she needs, which is essentially only what is seen in the render and a whole raft of details, sectional stuff and spec. material is just baggage.

You should make up GTVs of the necessary layers and, if the recipient is not using DatCad, send them as separate files - all a lot less than 3Mb. If you have made the model, that should probably go as a DXF containing only the 3D items.

If you are using V10 or earlier, PKZip compresses the files by about 80%. This is less so with V11.
#5477 by Neil Blanchard
Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:59 pm
Hello Jason,

How much text, and/or non-associative hatch is in this file? If there is a lot of text, is any of it TTF? I would try changing some/all of the TTF's to CHR fonts. If you have any non-associative hatch, please replace it with associative. Ditto for dimensions.