Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#71157 by WonderWheeler
Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:56 pm
Need the hardlock driver file(s) for a Datacad version 12 installation. Am trying to convert a few Datacad files to Autocad.

What a pain, have hardlock and serial number but still no Datacad workie.

All datacad 12 files seem to be airbrushed out of the party headquarters photos. lol

Gary Wheeler
Arch.
Conrad Asturi Studios
Modesto, Carmel, California
http://www.conradasturi.com/

ps. How's everyone? Its been a while.
#71158 by David A. Giesselman
Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:15 pm
Might it not be easier to just download the latest Demo version of DataCAD and use it to convert the files?

Dave
#71161 by WonderWheeler
Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:55 pm
Thanks Dave. It might. But as an amateur archivist I hate to depend on such methods. It kinda violates the spirit if not the letter of the free Demo agreement. I am a stickler for legalities believe it or not.

I might have a copy of the v12 hard lock installer on one of my old hard drives.
#71162 by MtnArch
Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:35 pm
I thought I might have something saved in my "way-back" DC folders but I only go back to V14. Sorry!

Have you tried looking for it here: http://www3.safenet-inc.com/support/har ... loads.aspx I assumed you've already tried this one from DC LLC: https://www.datacad.com//update/update_hardlock.html
#71165 by WonderWheeler
Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:31 pm
Tried another from the same company, hldinst.exe, no joy. From 2003 or 2004. Keeping track in case anyone else has the same problem. hardlock_driver_cmdline5_55.zip no good.

I fear I have been truly dongelized...

By the way, I have a 3d printer (bio-plastic filament extruding) now and am about to print a sketchup model. Its a topo with a 95% remodel, the drawings for the exiting building were done in Datacad 12, those were sucessfully converted already.
#71182 by WonderWheeler
Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:25 am
Not sure Neil. I found a 5.22 Hardlock file from a loose hardrive from about 2012. It might work. Will try that tomarrow .

I had already copied a HLVDD.DLL file into the Systems32 folder and that didn't work yesterday. A different version of windows anyway.

If Datacad closes many of our old files may be toast. I hear a norwegian country is now thinking of setting up some kind of an underground library in the tundra to backup all the information civilization needs to reboot itself in case of a giant EMP or catastrophic collapse of civilization. Similar to the underground seed bank idea.
#71187 by joshhuggins
Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:23 pm
WonderWheeler wrote:If Datacad closes many of our old files may be toast.
I'm sure if that happened, Datacad would release an unlock so the last version released could continue to be used. If not, worse case the last demo version could be used to convert files to whatever format you wanted if needed. Don't think the guys at DataCAD would leave us hanging if they could help it.
#71189 by joshhuggins
Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:07 pm
WonderWheeler wrote:Loaded the driver with 5.22, whatever brand that was. Still didn't work. Maybe 12 doen't work with windows 10.
Oh yeah if your on Windows 10, even if you got the hardlock issue sorted out, there are some serious issues with Windows 10 and Datacad v15 and older that will cause constant crashing. Datacad v.16 and newer have patches that fix these problems. You will either need to run an older version of Windows in a VM or dual boot or upgrade Datacad for Windows 10.
#71198 by WonderWheeler
Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:10 pm
Thanks. Swallowed my pride and tried the version 19 trial. Seems to work fine. Was able to convert an old project. We are now doing the mansion across the street in the same gated community. Ug.

After using Autocad for a while I sure miss the GoToView in Datacad. I wouldn't be able to convince people here at this office that Datacad is better, its a lost cause. Its too convenient to use what the consultants use.