Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#78106 by stephen11962
Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:23 pm
Simple drawing: I can erase dashed lines using erase and selecting dashed lines individually. If I try to erase a series of dashed lines using 'area/mask(for dashed lines) nothing happens. If I try to erase a dashed line using 'entity/mask' I get the message Point Entered is too far from and entity.
What???

Stephen and as always TIA
#78107 by Neil Blanchard
Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:51 pm
There might be a simple explanation - there is a common custom dashed linetype, and there is a the stock DataCAD dashed linetype. Here's what I would try - when you go into the Mask/Linetype menu - left click on one of the dashed lines on the screen. And then back out to the EGAFSM menu, and try it.

This uses the implied match to select the exact linetype you want to erase.
#78116 by stephen11962
Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:15 am
Hi Neil

Getting closer but: I tired doing what you suggested and still got the 'too far' error. Left clicking on the dashed lines in question resulted in NO selection of line type - and no deletion of line in question. I then did a separate insertion of a new line, dashed, by selecting from the Line Type menu. I then went to Mask, selected dashed, and deleted the new dashed line.

So, back to your comment about Stock vs custom lines: I do remember from somewhere in my (diminishing) brain cells 'custom line types.' I think that sometime in the distant past I might have created one of those special lines (something about getting intersecting dashed to intersect with solid portions of the lines rather than the void portions of the line - maybe. I am pretty sure that there is someplace where 'my' definition of the line is stored but I am too old to try to find it and then wonder what to do next). I just went back to the drawing and experimented and basically confirmed this. I then tried to Change my dashed lines to DC dashed lines but have to use mask to do that which circles back to the original problem.

Is there a solution that eludes me? I could delete these lines manually, I guess, and not lose all the time it is taking to find the explanation!

I marvel at your (and others here) encyclopedic Dcad knowledge. Many thanks.

Stephen
#78118 by Neil Blanchard
Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:55 am
If you ID the line in question, does it say 'Dashed' or '-dash-' ? The former is the stock linetype built into DataCAD, and the latter is a common custom linetype.

Either one should work with Mask, as long as you select it on the Mask menu.
#78119 by stephen11962
Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:59 am
YES!
The dashed line was the custom dashed line not DCAD's stock line.
And yes, mask works with both kinds. I just did not know I had to type in the correct identifying name. It does not seem possible to pick if via the cursor.

Thanks again.