Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#79268 by stephen11962
Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:37 am
Old project, symbol location, from Identify: "C:\program files\datacad\symbols\08\ etc. That does not exist on my hard drive. I no longer remember how/when the change occurred. Problem is that symbol location now reads: C:\Datacad 17\symbols\08\ etc. I may have had a history of DC versions, but no more so I cannot trace it backward. I conclude that the info on that symbol is from the time of its insertion, yes?

So how do I collect all the symbols from this old drawing and insert them into the present location of my symbols?

I am getting to old for this!
TIA

Stephen
#79269 by Roger D
Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:12 am
What do you really need to be done?
The symbol when inserted was added to the drawing database and you should be able to continue using that drawing as it is.

If you already have the symbol in your C:\Datacad 17\symbols\08\ directory, you can continue to use that symbol.

If you need to save the symbol to the new directory, open the symbol browser, set to "Drawing" to show what is in the file, and then pick each symbol and do a SaveAs to the new directory.

If you want to redefine the existing symbols with you new path, open the Symbol Browser to that directory, right click on the symbol in the drawing, and select Symbol Tools, Redefince, and redefine each symbol to the ones shown in the browser.

There also is a macro SYMTMPLT where you can select symbols by area or all and place in a new template, but it still uses the old path.
#79270 by stephen11962
Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:30 pm
Hi Roger

Thank you.
You have confirmed that the path was the path at time of insertion. That was via DC version 4,5 or even earlier.

I have to revisit that job, my house, because there are problems with windows and I need more details for troubleshooting. The symbol only existed in the drawing, no where else and I am opening up a new drawing.

While I have your eye: Dark gray on my monitor is too dark. Is there a way to lighten it up via DC to make it more readable?

I am still amazed by people with grand amounts of knowledge are willing to share.

Thanks again.
Stephen
#79271 by Roger D
Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:01 pm
You could copy all the symbols to a new layer, called symbols (via copy, to layer, mask, entity, symbol, then export that layer, insert into you new file and then pick them from symbol browser set to drawing.

Screen background, or just the drawing area color?
Screen - Program Preferences, Interface (in v17), "drawing" in newer versions. Double click on the background color box and create a custom color to use.
Drawing lines - Pick the color box next to the layer color in the status box, pick the dark gray and edit that color. I've had to do that to Magenta on mine.