Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#6196 by Brian Engebretson
Mon Sep 19, 2005 3:48 pm
Can anyone reproduce this? I imported a DWG file and was working on it. I needed to zoom way in to see if an intersection was closed. When I zoomed in as far as the preset scales would take me, my cursor changed shape. As I move it across the screen, it continues to change shape. Below is a screen capture of what it looks like. Not the nice little + that I like seeing. The cursor is also jumpy, like the snap increments have been turned on. I’ve tried a few different DWG files and all act the same way. My AEC files are fine. I’m running v11.08. This isn’t really a big deal, as I don’t usually work while I’m zoomed way in, but I just thought I would point it out.
#6202 by Miguel Palaoro
Mon Sep 19, 2005 6:10 pm
Hi Brian,

The reason is that this part of the drawing is too far from the absolute origin.

DataCAD 11 still doesn't deal so well with big distances, despite it has double math precision. The "Display List" engine works in single precision, and doesn't work with characters and the cursor when they are at a so far distance.

You got two ways to solve this problem:
1) Move all the drawing to a point closer to the absolute origin, or
2) Do a new import to the DWG file, and click ON to the box "Move drawing to origin" at the dialog for choosing linetypes and fonts.

Hope this helps.
Miguel
#6203 by Neil Blanchard
Mon Sep 19, 2005 6:16 pm
Hi Brian,

If you close the file, and then reopen it, does it still happen?

I tried to duplicate this, but I'm betting that it is dependent on the DWG's that you have -- because I am not seeing this behaviour.
#6211 by Brian Engebretson
Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:42 am
I should have known to check the absolute origin. Moving the drawing to the origin fixed the problem. I had problems in the past with the “Move drawing to origin” option in the translator. It would crash DataCAD so I quit using it. I just tried it again and DataCAD froze. I will just try to remember to manually move everything to 0,0.

Thanks again.
#6234 by Miguel Palaoro
Tue Sep 20, 2005 2:32 pm
That's good Brian.

Brian Engebretson wrote:...I just tried it again and DataCAD froze. (Move To Origin when Importing)

This shouldn't happen.

If possible I'd suggest you to send a sample file (where this happens) to DATACAD's tech support team, and giv'em an opportunity to check out the drawing.

I am interested, as well, in this kind of solution because I deal normally with .DWG drawings that are very far from the origin.
As you, I will hope Dave's team can handle and fix this soon.

Thanks,
Miguel
#22487 by joeferguson
Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:56 pm
Thanx, Miguel

I also have been experiencing jagged edges on my arcs and circles and it seems to be associated with importing more .dwgs.

I moved closer to 0,0 and the problem seems to have gone away, at least for now.

When is AutoC*D going to learn to save in .aec so we don't have these translation issues? :)

Joe

PS over the last couple of years, this forum has solved many challenges for me. Thanks again to all who contribute
#22489 by Miguel Palaoro
Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:16 am
Hello Joe,

As long as this subject came up today, I've the pleasure to inform that DataCAD 12 (in Beta 97 now) has solved completely the very-far-from-origin issue, including 3 Points Curves, using the new engine for handling huge distances with Display List being now able to deal with double-precision numbers. The 3 Pt Curves feature was recently rewritten from top to bottom.

Cheers for Mark, Dave and their team of aces!
Miguel