Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#556 by Greg Blandin
Wed Feb 23, 2005 3:31 pm
Does anybody have a Gravel hatch pattern they are willing to share or is ther eone already available taht I just don't see.

thanks

Greg
#558 by kapone085
Wed Feb 23, 2005 3:40 pm
I have a gravel hatch, but for the life of me, i don't know how i can get it to you.

If you, or anyone, can walk me thru the steps to maybe zip it to you I'll be glad to.
8)
#559 by joshhuggins
Wed Feb 23, 2005 3:46 pm
I have a bunch of hatch patterns on my website for download. Click the WWW button below for the link.
#563 by Neil Blanchard
Wed Feb 23, 2005 4:07 pm
Hello Greg:

I got called out on just this issue, on the DBUG Forum, for sharing a hatch pattern that someone else made :oops: -- the place to go for this is Cheap Tricks. You'll end up paying $5 or $10 (max!) and you may get a bunch of other patterns that are also useful. And the person who wrote those patterns will get a modest piece of the "action".

I use a good looking gravel-type pattern called "stones" which is a relatively complex pattern of various size round-ish stones and gravel. There is also another one that looks more angular and each "stone" is closer to the same size -- it looks like crushed stone. That one is called "gravel". I got both of those (IIRC) from Cheap Tricks CD-ROM's. You might look at what all is on those -- they are $100 for the pair, but they are really a "greatest hits" collection!
#565 by Greg Blandin
Wed Feb 23, 2005 4:13 pm
Neil,

I understand the concept of the Cheap Tricks CD, but I don't agree with it.

I feel that to make a program the best it can be everyone needs to share and share alike. The trouble is you get people that give (one way or another) and you get people that just take and take and take.

To me, by charging for a CD of hatch patterns is like me asking for money every time I answer a question on here or DBUG.

If I really want the pattern that badly I can make it myself, but a couple of kind people have offered to help. I don't mean to take money away from the creator of Cheap Tricks, but I don't think it's right.
#572 by joshhuggins
Wed Feb 23, 2005 6:51 pm
A lot (probably about 45-50%) of the hatches on my site are the exact same patterns as the cheap trick website. But what should be noted is that those same patterns are converts I did from freeware autocad hatch patterns, StoneCad, and other freeware from around the internet, not purchased from Cheap Tricks, then posted to my website. That would be wrong. The price you would be paying Cheap Trick submitters, is for the process of converting the format, and the medium of getting the patterns (server storage & download via internet or CD rom) not creating a new pattern or design. If you check out some of the packages you will notice that there are duplicate patterns. I would guess that those matching hatch patterns were created/translated with the dcadwin.pat convert tool, which is the same tool I used, before I let Datacad 11 convert them into DHP files. It is a simple task to do and I didn't feel it was worth charging for, but some others do. I don't think theres anything wrong with that. There are some homegrown patterns I have made in the bunch, and will be adding some more in the future, but they will be and remain free, just like the ones created from autocad freeware found on the net. :mrgreen:
#576 by Neil Blanchard
Wed Feb 23, 2005 10:30 pm
Greg Blandin wrote:Neil,

I understand the concept of the Cheap Tricks CD, but I don't agree with it.

I feel that to make a program the best it can be everyone needs to share and share alike. The trouble is you get people that give (one way or another) and you get people that just take and take and take.

To me, by charging for a CD of hatch patterns is like me asking for money every time I answer a question on here or DBUG.

If I really want the pattern that badly I can make it myself, but a couple of kind people have offered to help. I don't mean to take money away from the creator of Cheap Tricks, but I don't think it's right.

Oh, the Cheap Tricks CD-ROM's have a lot more than just hatch patterns on them! If you want to buy just the hatch patterns, it is like I said, probably $5. And you'll get 6 or 8 or 10 or more patterns, depending on the disk. It would take -- and did take a lot longer than $5 of time to make all those hatches.

I have a couple of Cheap Trick items in the catalog, and I get a small royalty check ($7.50-$20?) once a year or so. Evan Shu has maintained the catalog, and send things out when people order things -- I think Evan keeps half or so of the fee to cover his costs -- and the costs of running the DBUG Forum, too, BTW. So of the five bucks, the creator gets half and Evan uses half, IINM. What's wrong with that?

Knowledge and experience are different things, in a way, than writing a macro, or creating a hatch pattern. They both take time yes, but the Forum is the Forum, and Cheap Tricks is Cheap Tricks.
#610 by Mark Toce
Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:14 pm
joshhuggins wrote: ... But what should be noted is that those same patterns are converts I did from freeware autocad hatch patterns, StoneCad, and other freeware from around the internet, not purchased from Cheap Tricks ...

Thanks for clarifying, Josh.

For future reference, we will delete posts that contain links to dowloads of copyrighted materials, unless the post contains permission of the copyright owner.
#621 by Greg Blandin
Fri Feb 25, 2005 11:47 am
Unless the person posting says it's from the Cheap Tricks ware CD how can you prove it's copyrighted?
#623 by joshhuggins
Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:02 pm
I think with hatch patterns it's kinda hard if it's been out for a while and distributed. A createive way to protect a pattern would be to come up with a way to tag the code with a pattern that could identify you as the creator at a later date, but someone else wouldn't be able to see it, it would just look like part of the pattern code.

I think it comes down to honesty with a lot of these simple text based files and such. I respect what others have done and just hope they would do the same for me. Nice thing is seems like this special group of Datacad users really have values and a general sense of right and wrong, and whats fair, and thats why I like to try to share with my Datacad friends who have shared so much with me. I'm all choked up .... I have to go.... uh... wash my truck..... :mrgreen:
#641 by Tony Blasio
Sat Feb 26, 2005 10:48 am
I agree completely with Josh and I would like to thank him for the work on his web-site.

I used to have a Web-Site devoted to DataCAD where I offered my stuff for download and encouraged others to donate. I got allot of response and feedback.

Josh will you be taking donations on your site or only offering your own creations??
#644 by joshhuggins
Sat Feb 26, 2005 8:13 pm
I never really thought about donations. Maybe someday, if there is really a lot of stuff to share where I need to increase my server storage or something, but for now I am paying for my domain for my personal use anyway so, I say lets keep it free as long as I can. Thanks Tony for the compliments, just glad people are getting use from the time put into it. Still haven't recieved anything from anyone who might want to share, so if you guys & gals have something good send them in :!:

P.S. - If someone is just loaded with money and has to make donations to someone, you could send a paypal donation. Just found out I'm gonna be a daddy for the first time about 2 hours ago, so maybe I'll need all the help I can get :shock: :D :shock:

P.S.S. - You guys are the first to know, so shhhhhhhhh, my wife will kill me if it's not here family who knows first. :mrgreen:
Last edited by joshhuggins on Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#645 by Tony Blasio
Sat Feb 26, 2005 10:59 pm
Congratulations!! :D
#646 by Dick Eades
Sun Feb 27, 2005 1:25 pm
WOW!! Josh, that's great!! Congratulations from a father of five and a grandfatner of seven, so far.